<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  How will this affect Yao and other Chinese players?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 640Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:54 pm
How will this affect the players from China, like Yao and Yi? Will ESPN, for the sake of business, try to put Chinese players in better lights, instead of the occasional annoying taunting? Will referees stop giving Yao bogus and unfair calls? What do you guys think?

ESPN, 4 Chinese groups invest in 11 percent of NBA China

Five companies, including ESPN, are participating in the NBA's venture into China, investing $253 million for an 11 percent stake in what will be known as NBA China.

ESPN, a division of The Walt Disney Company, is joined by Bank of China Group Investment, Legend Holdings Ltd.; Li Ka Shing Foundation; and China Merchants Investments. Tim Chen, the former CEO of Microsoft Greater China, will lead the new entity as its CEO.

"This strategic investment expands our relationship with the NBA, a key partner who shares our vision of serving fans worldwide," ESPN president George Bodenheimer said in a statement.

The NBA, long cognizant of the enormous market potential, started its foray into China in 1979, when the then-Washington Bullets played a game against the Chinese national team. Today, a third of the league's Web site traffic is from China, on the Mandarin version. Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets has been able to translate his icon status in China to marketing and playing success in the United States. This year, he was joined by Yi Jianlian, who is with the Milwaukee Bucks, and when the two teams played in November 2007, the game was broadcast by 13 Chinese television outlets, three Chinese Web sites, and drew up to an estimated 200 million viewers.

"The opportunity for basketball and the NBA in China is simply extraordinary," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "The expertise, resources and shared vision of these immensely successful companies will help us to achieve the potential we see in the region. The strategic investment from these companies will allow us to continue working with the Ministry of Sport and the Chinese Basketball Association to grow our sport and emphasize, in both rural and urban Chinese communities, its contributions to fitness, healthy lifestyle and an appreciation of teamwork."

Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company said, "We are delighted to be participating in this promising venture in what's become one of The Walt Disney Company's most important markets. This investment adds to our wide range of exciting businesses in China, from theme parks to retail outlets and from movie-making to mobile games."

Chen had already been hired in October to serve as the CEO of NBA China. He is based in Beijing, another office is in Shanghai, and NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said there will be one in Guangzhou.

NBA China will be governed by a board of directors that will include representatives from the five investor groups, plus Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon, Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, Silver, Heidi Ueberroth, the president of NBA global marketing partnerships and international business operations, and Stern.

"It's something we're very excited about. It signals the kind of opportunity that's available both for the NBA and the growth of the game of basketball," Silver said. "It's the culmination of 20 years of work in China, but having said that it's really just the beginning of the opportunity."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
2 Chinese players in the NBA. What they're doing is the opposite. They're selling American NBA to the Chinese, not Chinese players to the Americans viewers.

They'll need 1 star Chinese player to generate interest. But, what they try to do most is market the already established league superstars.

Japan owns most of Sony Pictures Entertainment (Columbia, tristar, MGM), but you don't see many Japanese superstar actors.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:14 am
here is what going to happen.

ESPN or NBA broadcast in China will pay more attention and focus more on Yao and Yi along with other players.

NBA China will certainly push more chinese players to be played in NBA.

the NBA of america will not treat Yao or Yi any better, as we can see how they treated Yi this year with the all-star.

They figure as long as there is one big chinese star representing then the door to China would be wide open.

Chinese viewers need to boycott and stand together on this unfair treatment to Yi.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:26 am
America, no matter how you spin it, is and always will be racist against Asians. Just 2 nights ago I encountered yet some more racist shiat from strangers.

China, develop your own league, expand it across Asia and rival the NBA. That's the way to go. Maybe one day the likes of LeBron would dream of playing in the Asia league...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:45 am
I agree. Sounds like the Chinese investors are only motivated after profit, and not safeguarding Chinese long term interests.

The Pros: Chinese players will gain experience, training to improve their skills.

The Con: Since the majority stock holder of China NBA is Western ( ie American ), there's potential for them to brainwash native Chinese.

This is something the Chinese govn't should prevent from happening. Entertainment, and Media can be used to brainwash the general populace. Hollywood and it's ilk would love to control Chinese Media, Entertainment. This is a first step into making that inroad.

China needs to ban such ventures for the sake of National Security. Am I crazy to say this? I don't think so. The US Media has such a tight grip on the minds of the general population of Americans that it's truly scary. It can affect everything from morals, to politics to foreign policy. Entertainment is no longer innocent, but a subtle brain washing tool.

Besides, why reward these bastards ( NBA ) by allowing them to profit from China?

Like I said, native Chinese and Asians have no idea what Americans are like. They think Westerners can be their friend. Not so. Westerners seek to dominate, control, and exploit everyone that is not Western. In a way, Asians are so naive and innocent.

Yao Ming is a good example of this. I think he truly believes that his benevolent conduct is respected around the league. This may be true but he's rapidly becoming a secret laughing stock. By not fighting back, and defending himself, Yao's hurt himself and his credibility as an NBA franchise player, and it's quite posisble that in the future, an NBA team may have second thoughts towards Yao Ming as a Franchise player. His role may be severelly diminished. Not beause Yao's skills will diminish, but how can any NBA team seriously believe they can win the Championsihp when their supposed franchise player continually receives blatantly bad calls? It hurts Yao, but more importantly, it hurts the franchise, and their fans.

I think this has partly contributed to McGrady's desire to leave Houston because it's affected him as well, and he knows it. The referees do not give T-Mac star calls anymore. and worse, being associate with Yao Ming is hurting his credibility as an NBA superstar.

The West HATES Asians. They want our women as sex whores ( already happenign in the USA ) and want Asian males to just die.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 pm
I've wondered whether my conclusions are rational or not. It sounds overly pessimistic, and dark, but I think my conclusions about the West are correct.

Given America's past history in racial relations, any Asian-American who thinks they can comfortably live in America as an equal citizen is seriously naive. If this current economy tanks, and it looks like it may in a disasterous manner, then watch out! Asians will be blamed, and targeted, and may even be killed.

I've seriously given thought to moving to another country maybe in Asia to start a new life.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:15 pm
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
doubtfulYao wrote:
I've wondered whether my conclusions are rational or not. It sounds overly pessimistic, and dark, but I think my conclusions about the West are correct.

Given America's past history in racial relations, any Asian-American who thinks they can comfortably live in America as an equal citizen is seriously naive. If this current economy tanks, and it looks like it may in a disasterous manner, then watch out! Asians will be blamed, and targeted, and may even be killed.

I've seriously given thought to moving to another country maybe in Asia to start a new life.

I know asian americans are not being looked up. Neither is the blacks. But are you sure they will be like this hostile against the asians?

I mean the Americans are a mixed up race of mostly german, italian, , English, and other europeans. They made a culture out of these races. None of these guys really give a ******. To unite everyone together is a miracle already. I just hope asians and blacks can mix with these groups a lot more better.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
America is still the best place for Asians to live. Every other country, it's almost acceptable to be racist.

Look at China, white guys in China gets treated better than Chinese guys. Chinese people in the north curse at and looks down upon chinese people from the south. Chinese people in Hongkong and Taiwan looks down on Chinese from the mainland.

There's no perfect place, America is not bad.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:
America is still the best place for Asians to live. Every other country, it's almost acceptable to be racist.

Look at China, white guys in China gets treated better than Chinese guys. Chinese people in the north curse at and looks down upon chinese people from the south. Chinese people in Hongkong and Taiwan looks down on Chinese from the mainland.

There's no perfect place, America is not bad.

Agrees, I lived in Europe before too, and boy, those guys are so racist. In America, there is actually law to reduce the racism.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
doubtfulYao wrote:

Do it bro and you may just appreciate what you've got in America. Having gone back to live for about 4 years in several countries in Asia, I can certainly tell you it was an eye opening experience. As other posters have pointed out, caucasian people automatically get treated kings by the locals. As a westernized Asian guy living there, you'll experience blantant in your face racism like you've never seen before. Here is the heirarchy according to locals in asia. 1. Caucasians 2. Locals 3. Black and Asian Decent Foreigners.

So if you think you can put up with being treated like a third class citizen by people of the same race as you then go for it.

Offline Profile