<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game #41: Seattle SuperSonics vs Houston Rockets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Thread constructionImage
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Records: Houston (21-19), Seattle (9-31)
When: Monday, 1:30 p.m.
Where: Toyota Center
TV/Radio/Spanish Radio: FSN Houston / SportsRadio 610 AM / 850 AM in Spanish

Injury Update: G Tracy McGrady (left knee) is questionable and G Steve Francis (bi-lateral quadricep tendinitis) is out for the Rockets; C Robert Swift (left knee contusion) is out for the Sonics.

Sonics Update:
The Sonics have unsurprisingly struggled this season with a young lineup. Before Saturday's game against Dallas, they were mired in a nine-game losing streak. Kevin Durant has at least been a bright spot. The first-year sensation is the leading candidate for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award.

Projected Starting Lineup:

ROCKETS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Rafer Alston 11.4 3.2
G Luther Head 8.0 1.8
F Shane Battier 8.4 4.9
F Chuck Hayes 3.4 6.4
C Yao Ming 22.1 10.5

SONICS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Earl Watson 6.8 9.6
G Kevin Durant 19.8 4.3
F Jeff Green 8.8 4.9
F Nick Collison 9.3 8.8
C Kurt Thomas 6.8 9.6

..........................Image

Rockets receiving a boost from their trio of rookies
Seattle at Houston, Monday, 1:30 p.m.

Damien Pierce
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- During his first season in the NBA, Rockets forward Carl Landry has had the typical job duties of a rookie.

"I've been carrying bags and getting water for the veterans," Landry said. "The whole nine."

He and the Rockets' other rookies have been shouldering their share of the workload on the floor too.

Despite coming into the season with a roster heavy on veterans, the Rockets have found themselves relying more and more on their collection of rookies heading into Monday afternoon's matinee against the Seattle Supersonics. Tip time is slated for 1:30 p.m.

The Sonics will be bringing former University of Texas star Kevin Durant, the leading candidate for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award, into town for the first time.

But even though Durant has garnered most of the headlines for the NBA's latest rookie class, the Rockets have been impressed with their own collection of youngsters heading into the halfway point of the season.

Houston has three first-year players in Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks and Landry. Surprisingly, all three are logging critical minutes for the Rockets.

Scola has been a regular contributor all season, while Brooks and Landry have taken on increased roles in recent weeks.

"We really like our young guys," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "We're not 30-10. We're (21-19) so we're searching for what's the best way for this team to win. We're finding out about these guys that they can play."

Adelman has gained so much trust in his young core that he's relying on them in key situations.

During the fourth quarter of Saturday's win over San Antonio, the trio were actually all on the floor together.

They even took turns tormenting the NBA's defending champs by highlighting a 9-4 run early in the period.

Landry started it off by hauling in a pass from Tracy McGrady for an emphatic dunk. On Houston's ensuing possession, Landry took in a pass and found Brooks wide-open on the perimeter. The rookie point guard swished the shot from beyond the arc.

After all that, Scola capped off the impressive streak by drawing charge on San Antonio's Matt Bonner.

The Rockets are beginning to expect that sort of a lift from their collection of rookies.

"The rookies give us a great infusion of energy," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "Sometimes you just need that. You need that kick. They each do something we don't really have on our roster. It can really give your team a jump start."

Scola has been doing that most of the season. Unlike the team's other two rookies, Scola has plenty of experience since the 27-year old rookie has been developing his game in international play.

Still, the power forward had to make an adjustment to the American game. He has been getting more comfortable as the season has progressed.

"He's a guy that thrives on motion and movement," Battier said of Scola earlier this season. "Whenever we have good movement, he's going to play a very good game. He's a really good player. He's going to be in the right spot and he's going to continue to improve."

Brooks and Landry, in the meantime, have been the bigger surprises.

Brooks, the Rockets' first-round pick, got a chance to work himself into the rotation about a month ago after a brief stint in the NBA Developmental League. While he is still improving his decision-making, the guard's speed has helped the Rockets get easier baskets in transition.

Landry has been the most recent addition to the rotation. After seeing action in only three of the Rockets' first 36 games, the rookie power forward has received minutes in the last four games. He had seven point and five rebounds in 12 minutes against San Antonio.

With his athleticism, Landry has provided a jolt of energy by crashing the offensive glass and throwing down dunks. On Saturday, he snatched a board from Spurs All-Star forward Tim Duncan before hammering it down for the jam.

"I wouldn't say it surprises me because of my determination and my effort is at a very high level," Landry said of playing increased minutes. "But there's a lot that I still got a lot to learn about the game. For coach to put me out there and have faith in me to produce, it's a great feeling."

Adelman has been using a rotation that has included the three rookies. Brooks has spelling Rafer Alston, while the Rockets coach has found a good combination with Scola and Landry when Yao Ming and Chuck Hayes are out in the frontcourt.

"I really like Luis and Carl together because they're both so active," Adelman said. "They give us energy and they're hard to keep off the boards. You haven't seen it yet, but Carl can really shoot the 15-footer. He's very active. I'm really comfortable playing them."

They're simply doing more than carrying the bags and fetching water for the veterans.

"We're providing energy," Scola said. "Carl has played great. He's fights so much for the rebound. Aaron is so fast and he's not afraid to take shots. If we can help our star players, we can make something happen here."

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 pm
anybody plans to watch today's game? any link please?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 211Location: Davis, CAJoined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 pm
Yes, we need a link. Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 pm
Posts: 211Location: Davis, CAJoined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 pm
LittleShanghai wrote:
mms://a58.l3072828840.c30728.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/58/30728/v0001/reflector:28840?auth=caEdkb6d3dUcWcZaScbcwa5dOaLczazbPcR-bhLpif-eS-woGFIzt&aifp=0001&upos=2

quick

I got it, Thank you very much.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 pm
I just missed it, could you please sent it again?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Rox playing lazy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:49 pm
one more link please! for some reason i couldnt connect to the previous one

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
Poor start for Rockets. Yao should just dominate Thomas instead of waiting for the double.

Offline Profile