<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game #20: Houston Rockets vs New Jersey Nets

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Link

Rockets hoping to get back on a roll away from home Houston at New Jersey, Friday, 6:30 p.m.

Damien Pierce
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Before catching the team's charter for a flight to the east coast, Tracy McGrady was expecting a relatively normal three-game road trip.

He was, in other words, anticipating some quiet time in his hotel room.

"I don't have to worry about screaming kids or tickets," McGrady said. "I don't have as many distractions on the road as I do at home."

The Rockets are hoping the rest of the trip goes just as well.

McGrady and Co. will begin a three-game road trip against a collection of Eastern Conference teams Friday night when they visit the New Jersey Nets at the Izod Center.

With the usual home distractions being left behind and Houston finally pulling out of its recent shooting funk, the Rockets are hoping to use the road trip as an opportunity to get back on a roll.

The Rockets, which had been struggling to knock down open jumpers, blasted the Memphis Grizzlies 105-92 on Wednesday night, riding a balanced scoring attack and a triple-double from McGrady.

That's the sort of effort that the Rockets are looking to duplicate on the road.

"It's very important that we maintain our energy and sustain the momentum that we have," Rockets forward Chuck Hayes said. "We have to keep our intensity up because we're a pretty good team when we have that."

The Rockets might even catch a break in the first game of that three-game road trip.

During New Jersey's setback to the New York Knicks on Wednesday night, Nets star point guard Jason Kidd sat out the game with a migraine.

The guard's absense has fueled speculation around New York that Kidd is unhappy in New Jersey and seeking a trade, leaving his status for Friday's game against the Rockets somewhat in question.

Since so much of New Jersey's offense flow through Kidd, the Rockets would certainly be at advantage if the do-everything point guard wasn't on the floor. Kidd is on pace to become the third player in NBA history to average at least 11 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds.

Still, Houston's Rafer Alston said he'd actually prefer to be chasing Kidd on Friday night.

"I love playing against Kidd," Alston said. "I've played against him for nine years so I know what to expect. I know he's going to push the ball and play the passing lane to get steals. I know he's going to rebound. I know he's going to try to post me up. Without him, their transition-attack game takes a little bit of a back seat because he's the anchor."

The Rockets, though, insist their focus is on their own team.

During Wednesday's win over the Grizzlies, the Rockets saw what their offense can look like when everything is clicking. Houston made 50.9 percent of its shots, had five players in double figures and got significant production from its bench. The trick now is trying to get that game to appear on a nightly basis.

The Rockets are hoping to make that happen away from home.

"It's very important that we build off our win," McGrady said. "When you go on the road for multiple games, most teams don't really do well on the road. Coming off a big victory last night, I think our team has some confidence. So hopefully that carries over."

Records: Houston (10-9), New Jersey (9-10)
When: Friday, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Izod Center (East Rutherford, N.J.)
TV/Radio/Spanish Radio: FSN Houston / SportsRadio 610 AM / 850 AM in Spanish

Injury Update: No injuries for the Rockets; G Marcus Williams (right foot surgery) and G Darrell Armstrong (bruised right thigh) are out and G Jason Kidd (migraine) and F Antoine Wright (sore left shoulder) are questionable for the Nets.

Nets Update: Jason Kidd missed Wednesday's game against the New York Knicks with a migraine, fueling speculation that he's unhappy in New Jersey. The Nets would certainly miss him if they let him leave. Kidd is having another impressive season and is on pace to become only the third player in league history to average at least 11 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds. The other two guys are Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.

Projected Starting Lineup:

ROCKETS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Rafer Alston 8.2 3.3
G Tracy McGrady 25.4 5.7
F Shane Battier 8.1 4.6
F Chuck Hayes 3.3 6.1
C Yao Ming 22.2 10.3

NETS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Jason Kidd 11.3 8.7
G Vince Carter 18.9 5.0
F Richard Jefferson 25.7 4.8
F Malik Allen 5.1 3.2
C Jason Collins 1.3 2.2

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:50 pm
long time (since Yao's rookie year) lurker here, this is my 1st post:

hooray, I will be at this game and near courtside. I expect Yao to put on a monster nite and show the NY/NJ crowd his greatness!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
oh, early game time. anyone looking for a video link i will post by gametime so keep refreshing since mms links have quick timeouts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
ThePrivate wrote:
oh, early game time. anyone looking for a video link i will post by gametime so keep refreshing since mms links have quick timeouts.

yeah, thanks. I'll be looking for your link.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:28 am
yao 20 points 10 rebounds 5 blks. tmac 35 points 8 assists.

look for us to sweep on this 3 game eastern roadtrip 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:29 pm
rockets2007 wrote:
yao 20 points 10 rebounds 5 blks. tmac 35 points 8 assists.

look for us to sweep on this 3 game eastern roadtrip 8)

i think yao should get 35 pts. i believe the nets starting center is out, mikki moore plays for sac town, so i think collins will defend yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Posts: 211Location: Davis, CAJoined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 pm
Again hope someone can provide a link? None of the recent link worked for me.

Thanks,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 pm
i will post mms link in the next couple of minutes, be patient.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:34 pm
6:30 pacific or eastern?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
neither.

Offline Profile