<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated ROX Preseason Thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Rockets will fine Yao just like any other player who misses training camp. The Rockets only gave Yao permission to attend the Special Olympics. He is not permitted to play in any basketball games for the CNT during the Rox training camp period.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5151891.html

Sept. 20, 2007, 2:57PM

Yao to miss team events for Special Olympics opening
All-Star center will skip media day, two practices to appear in Shanghai

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Rockets center Yao Ming will miss the team's Oct. 1 media day and first two days of practice to appear at the Special Olympics opening in Shanghai, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Thursday.

Yao will be fined for missing media day and the practices, but Morey would not say the amount of the media day fine. Media day attendance is a high priority for the NBA and fines can exceed $20,000. The fines for missing practices are $2,500 for the first practice and $5,000 for the second.

Yao is scheduled to join the Rockets in Austin on Oct. 4, in time for the third practice.

"Yao is not going to be at the start of training camp. He's basically taking an extremely prominent role in the Special Olympics in his hometown," Morey said. "It is a setback. We've been trying to avoid it. That's why we've been sending coaches over there, CD (former Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson) and others, to keep him up to speed,

"I don't think we can look at it as anything but a bit of a setback to getting ready. He will miss the first three days and we're aware he will be a bit jetlagged when he arrives, but he'll be ready to go. There is a mandatory fine for missing media day and practices, which he is absorbing."

Morey said Yao will not be playing in the China National team exhibition games that also could have made him late for the start of training camp, but that his role in the Special Olympics is very important in Shanghai.

"He would never want to miss training camp," Morey said. "He is the last player that wants to miss practice time. He is quite distraught over it. He had no choice. He understands we have to fine him. He is going to call his teammates and explain it to them."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

Last edited by TheRoxRedGlare on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:44 pm
I don't undestand how the Rockets will be able to control whether Yao plays in exhibition games for China. Are they going to send someone over from Rockets staff to make sure Yao does not play? I am not Chineese but I am a big Yao fan. Yao needs to play with his CNT teamates as much as he possibly can because the Bejing Olympics is fast approching. Besides I would rather see Yao fined or suspended by the Rockets rather then be branded a traitor by his countrymen.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
hoopfan wrote:
I don't undestand how the Rockets will be able to control whether Yao plays in exhibition games for China. Are they going to send someone over from Rockets staff to make sure Yao does not play? I am not Chineese but I am a big Yao fan. Yao needs to play with his CNT teamates as much as he possibly can because the Bejing Olympics is fast approching. Besides I would rather see Yao fined or suspended by the Rockets rather then be branded a traitor by his countrymen.

This is not a big deal, especially in light that Yao is a model citizen and player for the Rockets. It's in his contract that he must first get approval for any participation to play with the CNT or any other games that fall under FIBA or CBA. It is only a formality, since the Rockets understand Yao's commitment to his national team. In this situation, the Rockets are permitting Yao to play on the CNT until training camp officially starts.

Last edited by TheRoxRedGlare on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:43 pm

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/09/yaos ... s_lat.html

September 20, 2007

Yao's Special circumstances, late arrival

After the interview, when Daryl Morey was just chatting for a moment, he said something that we all kind of know, but sometimes can forget.

Yao Ming usually does not want to think of himself as special, but he is and always was. He is important in ways that are not only about points and rebounds.

He is unique, and so are his responsibilities, burdens sometimes that tug him in different directions.

"As much as he means to us," Morey said, "he means a lot to others, too."

So Yao Ming will miss the Rockets' media day and first two preseason practices to preside over the start of the Special Olympics in Shanghai.

The Rockets will fine him, which they must. And Yao would agree, he should be there, with his teammates, on time. But this time, he has decided that he cannot.

With Yao, you try to understand. He means so much to so many, he serves many. But beyond that, he is so unrelentingly dedicated that he earns the benefit of the doubt with his work ethic. Anyone that has watched his off-season workouts, beginning almost as soon as last season ended, would argue that he has built up a great deal of sweat equity.

This is not good news for the Rockets. They are in a race to mesh with one another and a new coaching staff's style and demands by the time the season starts. Every day is important and he will miss the first few. But it is hard to blame him.

He would want to be in Austin, but will be where he must.

Posted by Jonathan Feigen at September 20, 2007 02:47 PM

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Location: HoustonJoined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
what a selfish act....the guy thinks he's above the team :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
hoopfan wrote:

Let me think about this for a second, the chance to play in a few meaningless exhibition matches that is going to have zero bearing on CNT's chances in 08' (which is slim at best) or the chance to get started on a journey that could take him to the top of the NBA and the basketball world. Tough choice don't you think. Who here honestly think Yao would get more recognition for helping China win Olympic gold than the helping the rockets win an NBA championship?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:43 pm
Special Olympics is WAYYYY more important than Media Day. Would you rather be helping handicapped people or take photos for journalists? Yao is doing the RIGHT THING.

Yao will not play any games in China or he will risk injury.

None of this is a big deal, just some news for otherwise quiet news day.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 pm
User avatarPosts: 59193Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
nig1 wrote:
what a selfish act....the guy thinks he's above the team :twisted:

WTF?? HOW is that considered a selfish act?? :twisted:

Man....The Special Olympics is as important as the Olympics to those intellectually deficient/inadequate athletes.

Shanghai happens to be the host city for the 2007 Special Olympics, an international event, when thousands of intellectually deficient/inadequate athletes come from all over the world to Shanghai for it.

In his
dual role and capacity as the official image spokesperson for the Shanghai Municipality and the Special Olympics, tell me HOW he can exempted from appearing and officiating in the opening ceremony?
:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
yoda9999 wrote:
Special Olympics is WAYYYY more important than Media Day. Would you rather be helping handicapped people or take photos for journalists? Yao is doing the RIGHT THING.

Yao will not play any games in China or he will risk injury.

None of this is a big deal, just some news for otherwise quiet news day.

I never said anything about the special olympics. Of course he should be there ahead of the first few days of training camp. I am talking about the exhibition matches after that the other poster was reffering.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
man, klutch mb already has 70+ replies on this topic. some posters are criticizing yao (me included) for not planning on being at training camp on time. pryuen is mecifully defending his big yao.

but i more upset when i thought yao was going to play for the national team instead of being in camp on time. if it is for special olympics, that's good cause.

Offline Profile