<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game 2: Rockets @ Jazz November 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 962Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:22 pm
Quote:
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:41 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know why Yao is always assigned to guard Booser? I've not watched this game, but Hayes guarded Okur while Yao guarded Booser in the playoff. Okur would not be as fast although he plays outside more and would have taken Yao outside of paint most of the time. Maybe Rockets think Booser scores a few points less if guarded by another player but guarding Okur takes away Yao's inside presence? It makes Yao look bad when he guards Booser.

I was asking myself the same thing.

Maybe RA was just reluctant to make too many changes to a new and strange system. I'm sure he'd like his players to be accustomed to the system before he starts making adjustments.

It's apparent that Boozer can abuse Yao anytime he wants. That's because Yao can't stay in front of Boozer. Poor lateral quickness.
I did notice that the Rox was more effective against Boozer when Scola came in for Yao. The key is quickness. It doesn't hurt that Scola is still as tall or even taller than Boozer.

Eventually I see Rick Adelman playing Scola on Boozer and having Yao on Okur more consistently. It's worth a try at the very least.
Sure it takes Yao out of the middle but as we saw-->Yao wasn't even in the game let alone in the post when the Rox began to turn it around.
Besides playing Yao on Okur may allow him to rest more. I saw Boozer running around much more than Okur. That's Boozer's game! Yao's game is NOT defending quick slashing PFs.

Guaranty Rick Adelman will make adjustments to Yao's game next time. RA is a cerebral coach.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 962Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:22 pm
Quote:
Yao then discussed why he played poorly. "I was not focused in the first half. I let Boozer score a basket, then I looked around for my man, and they were already going up for the shot already," Yao said. "I didn't prepare enough for this game. I had 3 fouls in the first half, but I thought two of them weren't fouls, the one defensive foul and the offensive foul. The second half I didn't have good rhythm, and I rushed a bit."

Thanks Pryuen for the story.

Yao does seem confused at times during the game but his statement reflects the fact that it was NOT a matter of being in a new system.

Yao says he allowed Boozer to score then looked around and his man was already going up for a shot. :shock:
Sound like last year? Yes, because the defense was one and the same---unchanged because Adelman hasn't tweeked it yet. Rox are still focusing on getting the offense down.

Last year Yao was frustrated while unable to defend against Boozer in the playoffs last year and that was under JVG.

This game he had the same defensive assignment as last year and roughly the same results. Give RA time to make adjustments because we can't have Yao switching assignments (Boozer then Okur then back to Boozer). Confusing for us to understand and even more confusing for Yao to play this way. :idea:

Anyway, JVG already proved that it is physically impossible for Yao to be in two places at the same time. It takes certain people longer to understand the laws of physics. :oops:

Yao is best when he is planted on defense like a big sequoia battling slower big men, but when a center moves out to the 3-range he should be able to play it similarly to defending the high post.

He might not have to play man-to-man on Okur...Maybe more like a modified zone where he can also play passing lanes on his side when defending Okur. He will effectively be near the high post area such as he is on offense. And Okur is not as active as Boozer thus easier for him to defend.
This also gives the Rox the ability to cut off certain passing/shooting territory when Yao is out there in the 15 to 20 foot area.

We all know the Jazz are a good shooting team from all areas of the floor BUT Boozer is their number 1 option and eventually he will need to be neutralized by someone quicker and more athletic than Yao. If you still think Yao should guard Boozer then just consider not only that Boozer burns Yao consistently but that Yao picks up fouls quickly while defending Boozer as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:57 pm
MnYaoFan wrote:
Quote:
Yao then discussed why he played poorly. "I was not focused in the first half. I let Boozer score a basket, then I looked around for my man, and they were already going up for the shot already," Yao said. "I didn't prepare enough for this game. I had 3 fouls in the first half, but I thought two of them weren't fouls, the one defensive foul and the offensive foul. The second half I didn't have good rhythm, and I rushed a bit."

Thanks Pryuen for the story.

Yao does seem confused at times during the game but his statement reflects the fact that it was NOT a matter of being in a new system.

Yao says he allowed Boozer to score then looked around and his man was already going up for a shot. :shock:
Sound like last year? Yes, because the defense was one and the same---unchanged because Adelman hasn't tweeked it yet. Rox are still focusing on getting the offense down.

Last year Yao was frustrated while unable to defend against Boozer in the playoffs last year and that was under JVG.

This game he had the same defensive assignment as last year and roughly the same results. Give RA time to make adjustments because we can't have Yao switching assignments (Boozer then Okur then back to Boozer). Confusing for us to understand and even more confusing for Yao to play this way. :idea:

Anyway, JVG already proved that it is physically impossible for Yao to be in two places at the same time. It takes certain people longer to understand the laws of physics. :oops:

Yao is best when he is planted on defense like a big sequoia battling slower big men, but when a center moves out to the 3-range he should be able to play it similarly to defending the high post.

He might not have to play man-to-man on Okur...Maybe more like a modified zone where he can also play passing lanes on his side when defending Okur. He will effectively be near the high post area such as he is on offense. And Okur is not as active as Boozer thus easier for him to defend.
This also gives the Rox the ability to cut off certain passing/shooting territory when Yao is out there in the 15 to 20 foot area.

We all know the Jazz are a good shooting team from all areas of the floor BUT Boozer is their number 1 option and eventually he will need to be neutralized by someone quicker and more athletic than Yao. If you still think Yao should guard Boozer then just consider not only that Boozer burns Yao consistently but that Yao picks up fouls quickly while defending Boozer as well.

Boozer is one of the best PF's in the game. He has both a size advantage and strength advantage over Chuck and Scola. There is nothing to suggest that he won't score that many on either of them. It isn't all about Yao guarding Boozer either, its about Yao's range on help defense. I think they put him on Boozer to get him closer to the basket so that when OTHER PLAYERS cut to the rim etc., Yao doesn't have as much ground to cover challenging the shot. No, Yao cannot defend Boozer, but I don't really think Chuck or Scola can either. Plus, what does it matter if Boozer gets his points if the rest of the team is well defended? I think the strategy worked. Yes Boozer got 30, but Yao effectively guarded the rim from other players (5 blocks) and had a good defensive game otherwise.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:58 pm
double post, sorry.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:00 pm
Rob wrote:
retardedrooster wrote:
In case you guys havent seen the game here it is

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/lp_...101_13.asx

Your link was truncated (see the '...' in the middle). Can you please post a working link; I didn't get to see the whole game.

Thanks!

sorry I didn't notice it being truncated this is the correct link enjoy
will last for another 24 hours

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/lp_ ... 101_13.asx

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 pm
MnYaoFan wrote:
Quote:
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:41 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know why Yao is always assigned to guard Booser? I've not watched this game, but Hayes guarded Okur while Yao guarded Booser in the playoff. Okur would not be as fast although he plays outside more and would have taken Yao outside of paint most of the time. Maybe Rockets think Booser scores a few points less if guarded by another player but guarding Okur takes away Yao's inside presence? It makes Yao look bad when he guards Booser.

I was asking myself the same thing.

Maybe RA was just reluctant to make too many changes to a new and strange system. I'm sure he'd like his players to be accustomed to the system before he starts making adjustments.

It's apparent that Boozer can abuse Yao anytime he wants. That's because Yao can't stay in front of Boozer. Poor lateral quickness.
I did notice that the Rox was more effective against Boozer when Scola came in for Yao. The key is quickness. It doesn't hurt that Scola is still as tall or even taller than Boozer.

Eventually I see Rick Adelman playing Scola on Boozer and having Yao on Okur more consistently. It's worth a try at the very least.
Sure it takes Yao out of the middle but as we saw-->Yao wasn't even in the game let alone in the post when the Rox began to turn it around.
Besides playing Yao on Okur may allow him to rest more. I saw Boozer running around much more than Okur. That's Boozer's game! Yao's game is NOT defending quick slashing PFs.

Guaranty Rick Adelman will make adjustments to Yao's game next time. RA is a cerebral coach.

All of that assumes that it will be the same when Yao guards Okur. Who's to say that Okur won't be running around as much? He is a very mobile big man and is quite capable of running and shooting Yao to death out at the 3pt line. I don't think any adjustments will be made. Adelman has stated on the record that he wants to employ Yao in more of a one man zone scheme. However, to do that he must be close to the rim or it negates his shotblocking, rebounding, etc. Boozer's range is less than that of Okur's, that is why there will be no change. It doesn't make bball sense to employ a one man zone with him assigned to Okur, because he wouldn't be able to come out far enough to challenge Okur's shots, effectively leaving Okur open for 3's.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:14 pm
footdoc K wrote:
mingman11

relax, it's only 2 games and you are so upset that Yao isn't scoring 30 ppg and having 15 rpg. the fact is that the rockets are 2-0 and seem to be a more complete team instead of a 2 man show they were last year. wins are more important that individual stats. the big man doesn't have to put up big numbers every night to show he wasn't a factor. look at kobe, he's averaging 44 points/ game right now and his team is 0-1. I'd take Yao's scoring slump but team wins any day. also, he is going to get better, don't worry

The rockets are a better team than last year. So Rick Adelman is just screwing Yao Ming. Are you saying that if Van Gundy is coaching this team this Year the rockets wouldn't be a better team.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 pm
I really really really really really really really really think it was not necessary to change the coaching staff.

Why Rick Adelman? It's obvious we a better half court time with more talents. It's obvious Tom tibulu is better than sikma..And Jeff Van Gundy is diffentely a better coach for the houston rockets.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:52 am
I noticed that the only guy that can own boozer in the playoffs was Duncan. In that series Boozer was dominated when he tried to shoot he had a hand in his face, when he drove he was blocked.

I truly believe Sloan has studied Yaos weakness. It's apparent that whenever Yao got the ball he got the ball in uncomfortable postions; he was constantly hounded by Okur or Bzer. Boozer is ther primary low post option and unless Yao can magically increase his agility I think Boozer is one of the few players that Yao just cannot guard because of his money jumper and physical body. Yao can guard Amare and Howard but for some reason Boozers jumper is always money even when Yao has a hand in his face. When Yao comes out to guard him Boozer intentionally drives into Yao to draw the foul thu further frustrating Yao and diminishing his abilty to play freely.

Yao did have a great block on boozer but in this game I think it's only fair for the refs that if you make ghost calls on Yao you have to make ghost calls on boozer to even it up .

Yao has to be more confient with making the entry passes to Mcgrady or Bonzi. If he can be a playmaker in Aldemans system I think he will get his breathing space and better shot selection but judging from these interveiws you can tell he has not bought into his system.

I don't beleive that dumping in the ball and waiting for Yao to turn over the ball is a solution. I just don't see the lateral quickness.
I saw him commit atleast 3 turnovers whenever he tried to put the ball on the floor. Or either some other player has to set screens for Yao to be free. I like Yao in the high post because he is much more durable being able to play 40 minutes.

The defenive asignment on boozer is up to Yao to improve himself.
The onus is on Yao and not aldeman IMHO. I think Mcgrady played a super game and while the refs took Yao out the game he was simply outplayed by boozer. He has got to study the game tape of how Duncan defends boozer. There are no more excuses for Yao since he has been beaten everytime they have been matched up since Charles called Boozer out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:11 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Wow! I am absolutely amazed how much the basketball I.Q. has dropped here at YMM.

I am utterly speechless.

Offline Profile WWW