<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  What will Yao average this year?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 3022Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
So far after 3 games i think yao will average something like 22/10.5/2.5 assists, 2 blocks. I was hoping yao would come out and dominate with numbers like 26/10, but doesn't look likely. I just hope that by the end of the season he can still be the numbe 1 centre in the nba. Unless Yao pikcs up his game then it looks like he might lose that tag. The best i can do is just wait and be patient and hopefully Yao will be able to dominate again.

One thing that has bothered me is that Yao is playing a lot more minutes but averaging less points.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 7215Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
I'd be more concerned with his efficiency rather than how many points he gets. <50% shooting from a big man is unacceptable.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:05 pm
User avatarPosts: 3022Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
tharock220 wrote:
I'd be more concerned with his efficiency rather than how many points he gets. <50% shooting from a big man is unacceptable.

Forgot to mention that, yes im very concerned about his shooting too. The past few seasons Yao has been shooting >50% but the past few games averages haven't been all that great.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:10 pm
Posts: 8236Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
yao will avg 20 pts easily but yeah % matters. he needs to shoot 56%+ and he can, i guess he gotta dunk more. lesser turnovers, fouls, and avg 10+ rbs per game is good enuff.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:47 pm
tharock220 wrote:

a drop in yao's efficiency is to be expected. but he sure as ****** cant be shooting <50%

the deal with yao's shooting is this. he's a shooter. dude takes a million shots pregame and he knows what to do to get himself ready to make shots at the start of the game. but during the game yao basically cant put the ball on the floor at all (dribble). all he can do is turn and shoot.

so he NEEDs touches early to establish himself. today for example he started 6 for 8 but then he wasn't getting any touches and he went super cold and was practically airballing ******.

there's 2 ways they can handle this. 1) as JVG did scream and shout and demand that they establish yao down low all game so he can get his touches, take shots regularly and establish early and keep going 2) open the court and get yao open for easy shots and dunks near the basket so he can get himself going if he's cold

ATM they're trying to figure out what to do with the offense so Yao's not getting either 1 or 2. yao himself isn't sure wtf to do and as a consequence his shooting % isn't good. Yao's the type of dude who needs structure, he needs to feel comfortable and kind of needs a bit of handholding (only child syndrome?) and he can deliver big.

if you play basketball, those 10-12 foot shots yao made the past couple years... those are ****** hard shots. a dude like mike james can take an extra 3-4 seconds with the ball, dribble around and pick his spots even when he's not shooting well. but every time yao does one of those spins, there's ALWAYS at least one dude with his hand in his face, a second dude is rushing at him slapping as his hands, and now to top it off yao's cold on a shot where he's basically shooting at the rim from muscle memory. there's a reason why no other big man has the touch yao has. he's not even facing the basket, those are shots where he starts with his back to the basket and a hand on his back. when you have no flow those shots are really hard to make cold even when you have the shooting touch yao has.

basically RA needs to integrate yao throughout the game, if yao's gonna impersonate vlade at the top of the key they need to be disciplined giving him the ball and a target to pass to. the most important thing is to get yao his touches inside and outside... I'm sure RA and staff are charting them every game but the team isn't executing

Not using Yao as JVG did last year low in the post every possession, considering his efficiency there is conceding a HUGE deficit on offense for any coach. But a lot of people were clamoring for this, because the upside of that loss of production are fewer double/triple teams on yao and tmac, and more production from everywhere else. A drop in efficiency from yao is to be expected but if he gets like 5 more open shots a game his overall numbers should go up... and there's no reason why yao shouldn't get those 5 shots a game if the offense is clicking.

Yao should really be 25/10+ this year if they utilize him properly. IF he's below 20ppg at the end of the season that's really bad news for the Rox. that will mean RA never figured out the offense and they're not advancing in the playoffs

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
I'm going to say if he's healthy and plays in more than 90% of the games:

26 ppg
10.5 rpg
4 apg
2.1 bpg

and he'll finish top 5 in MVP voting.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:

26 ppg
10.5 rpg
4 apg
2.1 bpg

too much talent on this team, i think yao's stats will decrease a lil bit, while mcgradys might increase.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:47 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:

26 ppg
10.5 rpg
4 apg
2.1 bpg

Agreed. Yao will get it going in the 2nd half of the season if he stays injury free.

Offline Profile