<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  The Yao & Nash Charity Gala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:10 am
Posts: 15Location: Indianapolis, INJoined: Sat May 05, 2007 9:30 pm
YaoMingFan wrote:
Thanks for the downloads wireonfire and supraman. :)

Just watched the game myself. Liu Xiaoyu got some hops, and I really like the alleyoop dunk from Baron Davis at the end. 8)
Hopefully he can continue to improve. *crosses fingers*

An enjoyable game overall for a good cause. I liked it. :)

Thanks everyone for the updates. :)

Yeah, I hope he improves too, he's got great potential.

I live in Indianapolis, the Nike All-American camp has been hosted at my university each summer since its first run. Yao Ming was here in 1997. For the years 2005 and 2006, Liu Xiaoyu was invited to participate. In each year, Liu was outstanding amongst his American peers --- the top 100 high school players in the US. And Liu had made the All-Star game in both years.

The all-star game is open to the public and Liu Xiaoyu was pretty much the only non-black player in the game. During the pre-game warm-ups in 2005, Liu casually went for a half-hearted dunk and got hung, drawing some laughters from the crowd, including Kevin Durant's dad. Then at the next turn, Liu easily converted a reverse wind-mill, yes, a reverse two handed wind-mill. The crowd was shocked.

During the all-star game, Liu did not look to shoot much. He has made some crazy passes and some one-handed full-court passes that landed perfectly in Durant's hands. When he did score, the crowd went crazy and the announcer yelled 'Liu Xiaoyu, from Guangdong!" After the game, I had spoken to Liu and he said he hoped to play in the NCAA. In 2006, not knowing it was the last run of the event, I asked him if he's coming back the next year. He said he hope to have made it to the national team by then, so probably not. Well, his goal has been achieved.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:04 am
airchina23 wrote:

I live in Indianapolis, the Nike All-American camp has been hosted at my university each summer since its first run. Yao Ming was here in 1997. For the years 2005 and 2006, Liu Xiaoyu was invited to participate. In each year, Liu was outstanding amongst his American peers --- the top 100 high school players in the US. And Liu had made the All-Star game in both years.

The all-star game is open to the public and Liu Xiaoyu was pretty much the only non-black player in the game. During the pre-game warm-ups in 2005, Liu casually went for a half-hearted dunk and got hung, drawing some laughters from the crowd, including Kevin Durant's dad. Then at the next turn, Liu easily converted a reverse wind-mill, yes, a reverse two handed wind-mill. The crowd was shocked.

During the all-star game, Liu did not look to shoot much. He has made some crazy passes and some one-handed full-court passes that landed perfectly in Durant's hands. When he did score, the crowd went crazy and the announcer yelled 'Liu Xiaoyu, from Guangdong!" After the game, I had spoken to Liu and he said he hoped to play in the NCAA. In 2006, not knowing it was the last run of the event, I asked him if he's coming back the next year. He said he hope to have made it to the national team by then, so probably not. Well, his goal has been achieved.

I like Liu quite a bit too, but I think Chen Jianghua probably has better chance making to the final Olympics roster because of what he brings to the table -- great quickness to attack defense and score. Liu at this point isn't known for his scoring ability and he hasn't proved he is a steady hand at running the team either. So unless Chen doesn't recover fully from his injury in time, I don't think Liu has too much chance.

That said, I do think Liu has a great future. He's got great personality -- getting along with everyone, and he's got the drive to make it big. Quite a few people have made the proclaim he'll be the starting PG on the CNT one day. He understands English too (Chen doesn't). That doesn't hurt if he wants to play in the NBA or Europe. Also it is widely acknowledged he was really born in 1987 (not the listed 1989). That is not too bad, considering the CBA has already acknowledged Han Shuo was really born in 1986 and Chen's real age could be even worse.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:37 pm
wireonfire wrote:
airchina23 wrote:

I like Liu quite a bit too, but I think Chen Jianghua probably has better chance making to the final Olympics roster because of what he brings to the table -- great quickness to attack defense and score. Liu at this point isn't known for his scoring ability and he hasn't proved he is a steady hand at running the team either. So unless Chen doesn't recover fully from his injury in time, I don't think Liu has too much chance.

That said, I do think Liu has a great future. He's got great personality -- getting along with everyone, and he's got the drive to make it big. Quite a few people have made the proclaim he'll be the starting PG on the CNT one day. He understands English too (Chen doesn't). That doesn't hurt if he wants to play in the NBA or Europe. Also it is widely acknowledged he was really born in 1987 (not the listed 1989). That is not too bad, considering the CBA has already acknowledged Han Shuo was really born in 1986 and Chen's real age could be even worse.

Well, I've heard about Chen back in 2001/2002 and they said he was 15 or 16 and dunking. Liu Xiaoyu looks like he's 12, lol, but he was probably born in '87. Han Shuo was with Liu for the two years at the Nike Camp, but he's kind of going the wrong way for now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:24 pm
In case anyone is interested, the Yao-Nash charity game will be shown Wednesday on NBATV September 19 at 8:00P.M. Eastern time.

Last edited by hoopfan on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
hoopfan wrote:
In case anyone is interested, the Yao-Nash charity game will be shown on NBATV on September 19 at 8:00P.M. Eastern time.

good deal. thanks for the info.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
that alleyoop from baron davis to Liu Xiaoyu was unbelievable. I knew Liu was a good jumper, but a 6-2(188 cm) person finishing that play is a jumper in any league(or did he grow? nbadraft has him at 6-4)

i'm 6-1 and i can barely touch rim on a good day... its not fair.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:11 pm
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:
that alleyoop from baron davis to Liu Xiaoyu was unbelievable. I knew Liu was a good jumper, but a 6-2(188 cm) person finishing that play is a jumper in any league(or did he grow? nbadraft has him at 6-4)

i'm 6-1 and i can barely touch rim on a good day... its not fair.

Well, you need to get some vertical jumping training.

I'm 6-2 but I can't dunk like Xiaoyu. As I mentioned in my previous post, Xiaoyu can do a reverse windmill.

Offline Profile