<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  The Yao & Nash Charity Gala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:12 am
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
victorhe wrote:
when is the game gonna be on?

tomorrow morning? how can I watch the game? Is it on cctv 5?

cctv5, 19:30 14 sep beijing time

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:00 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Steve Nash, Baron Davis, Chuck Hayes, Carmelo Anthony and the others joined the Chinese national team in their team practice/scrimmage this morning for more than 2 hours in preparation for tonight's charity game.

In part of the team practice, Steve Nash was swapped with Sun Yue, and played point guard for the national team. Sun Yue insteads led the NBAers in their scrimmage.

In tonight's charity game, in 3Q, they will do the same, swapping Steve Nash with Sun Yue.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:05 am
Posts: 15Location: Indianapolis, INJoined: Sat May 05, 2007 9:30 pm
go to sopcast.org
download sopcast player
open sopcast player
go to channels
cctv 5. enjoy!

Jackie Chan is here!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:34 am
Posts: 890Location: Pasadena, USAJoined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:54 pm
Wouldn't it be awesome to have Steve Nash on the National Team permanently?!

We would obviously be one of the premier teams in the world, and win a medal come the Olympics!

Well, one can only dream.

But its not really out of the question, since the Russians even have an American point guard in JR Holden. And Australia had a host of Americans on their team. What's stopping China from recruiting a foreign pg?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:00 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
karamazov wrote:

Well, Steve Nash was doing okay in 3Q with the national team. Dished out 2 to 3 assists in that quarter. 1 for Yao Ming; the other for Wang Shipeng for a sweet 3-pointer.

But Sun Yue also did very good in 3Q, playing point guard for the NBA Invitational Team, a no look pass to Paul Davis for 2 points, and another assist to Barbosa for a 3-pointer.

And Sun Yue shone in this game in 2Q with a block on Tucker, and then sprinted all across the court for a dunk over Carmelo Anthony. Also a couple of dunks, including an impressive 360 degree dunk towards the end of 4Q.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:03 am
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
karamazov wrote:

We would obviously be one of the premier teams in the world, and win a medal come the Olympics!

But its not really out of the question, since the Russians even have an American point guard in JR Holden. And Australia had a host of Americans on their team. What's stopping China from recruiting a foreign pg?

national teams can't have foreign players on their team unless that player is "officially" a recognized citizen of that country.

i think what you are referring to is the fiba rule that each each league outside of the nba can have 2 foreign players on each team. that is nothing new.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:11 am
Yi and Sun looked pretty impressive. Anyone have the box score?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:24 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
It was a charity game so I guess people didn't take it too seriously. Anyway, what was the final score in the game and the game's top scorer's?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 890Location: Pasadena, USAJoined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:54 pm
No, what I am referring to is that teams can have naturalised citizens on their teams. For example, if Steve Nash took up Chinese citizenship, then he can play for China after 3 years. That's the Fiba rule. You can have one naturalised player on your team. Other countries, like Russia, Australia, Japan etc have all taken advantage of this rule in the past by getting American players to their teams.

ThePrivate wrote:
karamazov wrote:

national teams can't have foreign players on their team unless that player is "officially" a recognized citizen of that country.

i think what you are referring to is the fiba rule that each each league outside of the nba can have 2 foreign players on each team. that is nothing new.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:04 am
User avatarPosts: 1577Location: EarthJoined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:39 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
pryuen wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
I am not going to knock this event because it is for a good cause, but just using agent Bill Duffy's players has cheated the fans in China. Maybe I would feel different if Oden didn't have surgery and could have played.

Well give me a break !! :roll:

How is that cheating?
:?: :?: :?:

As Yao Ming said, it took him and Nash 6 months for the conceptualization/organization/preparation of this Charity Gala, but NBA did not even give its approval/permission until less than 1 month ago.

Yao Ming also said he must thank all the palyers that had come to China so close to the opening of the NBA preseason training camps; he realized how important time is to the NBA players who need to get into their best competitive shape and form before the preseason training camps open, and that could be the reason why some players (like Mike James, Bonzi Wells, Mike Conley, Derek Fisher etc.) just gave up coming or the NBA clubs not willing to release them.

It's the very first of its kind in China. If fans don't like the line-up, and think it is not worth it, not even for charity purpose, they could just stay away from it, and not buying tickets to support it.

So WTF is all these talks about the Chinese fans deserve more or it is cheating ?? :x

Why are you so sensitive to my statement? If the NBA office took so long to sanction this event, then that is a shame.

What is so wrong that I am wishing that more NBA stars were participating in this charitable event?

If Yao and Nash started planning for this event over 6 months ago, don't you think that they have enough NBA friends that they could have invited for this game instead of strictly using Bill Duffy's players he represents as an agent?

But like I said in my original posting, if it doesn't bother any of you all, so be it. Like you said, this is the 1st of its kind in China, so you will appreciate it no matter what.

this lineup is much better then the one that came to vancouver for steve nash own charity event that he held.

Offline Profile