<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  The Yao & Nash Charity Gala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Is the guy in the middle Sung Tao who was drafted by Atlanta in 90s?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:12 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
I am not going to knock this event because it is for a good cause, but just using agent Bill Duffy's players has cheated the fans in China. Maybe I would feel different if Oden didn't have surgery and could have played.

I don't know who that white player is (Paul Davis?)

Tucker? Scrub. Strawberry? Scrub. Amir Johnson? Scrub. Truth be told, even Chuck Hayes is not worthy.

I am not trying to piss anybody off, I am just venting because I believe China deserves better, but if it doesn't bother you, so be it.

Quite refreshing.

Yao just came off an awkward trip. He is now in another compaign. Why those greedy agents cannot keep things quiet for Yao and Ye?

I bet Yao and you agree with me.

If there is a video posted for this game, I'd watch it. Till Rockets get into second round this year, Yi is more intriguing for the regular season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
i found this in the chronicle website. this guy uses info from ymm alot - is this guy a member?

http://blogs.chron.com/yaocentral/archi ... _othe.html

September 13, 2007

Nash, Melo, Baron Davis and 'others' in China

Check out these candid photographs of Steve Nash and friends in Beijing just days before their charity game to benefit under-served children in Western China. Peep Melo and BD kicking it all tourist like with Chairman Mao at the Forbidden City. Melo busts the 80s rapper squat with arms akimbo; and BD goes Big Daddy Kane on the cam... twice. Awesome. Nash looks like a fan who inched into the frame.

All these pics and more come to you courtesy of Yao Ming Mania, who along with virtually all other media coverage, refers to the group as Nash, Carmelo, Baron Davis and "other NBA players." It's kinda true, those other players being Leandro Barbosa, Amir Johnson, Chuck Hayes and a couple of guys even we don't recognize... is that Keyon Dooling?

The NBA doesn't seem to want to release the names either. Ah, the NBA hierarchy. Nevertheless, it's a great idea and a better cause; and certainly Yao and Nash are grateful to have all these guys come out for the event.

In the meantime, it looks like Nash and "the others" are having a ball just doing the tourist thing... despite the elitism. But notice how they're not getting mobbed. Good security or no Kobe?

Posted by Ren Hsieh at September 13, 2007 01:40 PM

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
I am not going to knock this event because it is for a good cause, but just using agent Bill Duffy's players has cheated the fans in China. Maybe I would feel different if Oden didn't have surgery and could have played.

Tucker? Scrub. Strawberry? Scrub. Amir Johnson? Scrub. Truth be told, even Chuck Hayes is not worthy.

I am not trying to piss anybody off, I am just venting because I believe China deserves better, but if it doesn't bother you, so be it.

Yao, Nash, Anthony and Davis are genuine NBA all-stars and are worth the price of admission. Anyway name me the charity events that attract ALL 20 of the best players in the NBA?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:30 pm
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
when is the game gonna be on?

tomorrow morning? how can I watch the game? Is it on cctv 5?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Tang Man wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

Yao, Nash, Anthony and Davis are genuine NBA all-stars and are worth the price of admission. Anyway name me the charity events that attract ALL 20 of the best players in the NBA?

That is easy, since it was held in my own back yard (H-Town). And not just 20 players, but 30.

The NBA Players Hurricane Relief game. Players participating (and paying the $10,000 minimum required fee):

Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Chauncey Billups, Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas, J.R. Smith, Amare Stoudamire, Antonio McDyess, Alonzo Mourning, Allen Iverson, Sam Cassell, Paul Pierce, Cuttino Mobley, Carlos Boozer, Stephon Marbury, Joe Johnson, Ron Artest, Mike James, Al Harrington, Jerry Stackhouse, Kenyon Martin, Dahntey Jones, Derek Anderson, Tyron Lue, and Damon Jones.

http://www.nba.com/community/smith_050907.html

[/img]

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

Well give me a break !! :roll:

How is that cheating?
:?: :?: :?:

As Yao Ming said, it took him and Nash 6 months for the conceptualization/organization/preparation of this Charity Gala, but NBA did not even give its approval/permission until less than 1 month ago.

Yao Ming also said he must thank all the palyers that had come to China so close to the opening of the NBA preseason training camps; he realized how important time is to the NBA players who need to get into their best competitive shape and form before the preseason training camps open, and that could be the reason why some players (like Mike James, Bonzi Wells, Mike Conley, Derek Fisher etc.) just gave up coming or the NBA clubs not willing to release them.

It's the very first of its kind in China. If fans don't like the line-up, and think it is not worth it, not even for charity purpose, they could just stay away from it, and not buying tickets to support it.

So WTF is all these talks about the Chinese fans deserve more or it is cheating ?? :x

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:19 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
pryuen wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

Well give me a break !! :roll:

How is that cheating?
:?: :?: :?:

As Yao Ming said, it took him and Nash 6 months for the conceptualization/organization/preparation of this Charity Gala, but NBA did not even give its approval/permission until less than 1 month ago.

Yao Ming also said he must thank all the palyers that had come to China so close to the opening of the NBA preseason training camps; he realized how important time is to the NBA players who need to get into their best competitive shape and form before the preseason training camps open, and that could be the reason why some players (like Mike James, Bonzi Wells, Mike Conley, Derek Fisher etc.) just gave up coming or the NBA clubs not willing to release them.

It's the very first of its kind in China. If fans don't like the line-up, and think it is not worth it, not even for charity purpose, they could just stay away from it, and not buying tickets to support it.

So WTF is all these talks about the Chinese fans deserve more or it is cheating ?? :x

Why are you so sensitive to my statement? If the NBA office took so long to sanction this event, then that is a shame.

What is so wrong that I am wishing that more NBA stars were participating in this charitable event?

If Yao and Nash started planning for this event over 6 months ago, don't you think that they have enough NBA friends that they could have invited for this game instead of strictly using Bill Duffy's players he represents as an agent?

But like I said in my original posting, if it doesn't bother any of you all, so be it. Like you said, this is the 1st of its kind in China, so you will appreciate it no matter what.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
If Yao and Nash started planning for this event over 6 months ago, don't you think that they have enough NBA friends that they could have invited for this game instead of strictly using Bill Duffy's players he represents as an agent?

Well, Yao Ming had invited Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Shane Battier, Mike James and Bonzi Wells.

They declined for all sort of personal reasons. Steve has to stay behind as he is expecting his 2nd child. Shane did not want to come because he has just visited China in August, and he also wants to focus on rehabilitating his body better for the new season, as well as for producing his baby.

But my guess was that the late approval from NBA also caused the organizers, i.e. BDA/Bill Duffy some headaches in confirming availability of players.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:46 pm
waterfall_zen wrote:

Is the guy in the middle Sung Tao who was drafted by Atlanta in 90s?

YUP....that is Song Tao who specially made the trip to Beijing from Taiwan to be in the Charity Gala. He told the reporters that when Yao Ming was visiting Taiwan last week, Big Yao placed him an invitation, and gifted him some VIP tickets for the charity game on the 14th and he gleefully accepted Big Yao's invitation cos he is a big fan of Yao Ming.

Offline Profile