<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Jack Sikma on Yao Ming

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:45 pm
mirthheart wrote:
has anyone actually seen a video of this Jack Sikma move? What is it and can someone post an example?

No video but here is the Jack Sikma Move (Reverse Pivot)

1.Recieve the ball on first marker and located the defense.

2.If defense plays behind him, then excute reverse pivot away from the defender and take a jump shot.

3.The second opionion is to reverse pivot, fake the jump shot, then cross over step for a layup.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm
mingman11 wrote:
mirthheart wrote:
has anyone actually seen a video of this Jack Sikma move? What is it and can someone post an example?

2.If defense plays behind him, then excute reverse pivot away from the defender and take a jump shot.

3.The second opionion is to reverse pivot, fake the jump shot, then cross over step for a layup.

The "spin" dribble was popularized and later referred to as "The
Pearl Move" in honor of Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. Jimmy Walker
utilized and popularized the "through the leg dribble" that was
initially taught by many coaches as "The Walker Dribble." Artis
Gilmore regularly stationed himself on the right block and would
move his man to the middle with a slide dribble to set up an "up and
under" pivot move that is still taught by many low post clinicians
as "The Artis Move." The same applies to big men learning the art of
receiving the ball with their back to the basket and utilizing a
technique known as an "inside pivot" to face the basket against
their defender which was perfected by Jack Sikma , often described
as "The Sikma Move."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:34 am
mingman11 wrote:
mingman11 wrote:
mirthheart wrote:

The "spin" dribble was popularized and later referred to as "The
Pearl Move" in honor of Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. Jimmy Walker
utilized and popularized the "through the leg dribble" that was
initially taught by many coaches as "The Walker Dribble." Artis
Gilmore regularly stationed himself on the right block and would
move his man to the middle with a slide dribble to set up an "up and
under" pivot move that is still taught by many low post clinicians
as "The Artis Move." The same applies to big men learning the art of
receiving the ball with their back to the basket and utilizing a
technique known as an "inside pivot" to face the basket against
their defender which was perfected by Jack Sikma , often described
as "The Sikma Move."

By Branson Wright

Jack Sikma
NBAE Getty Images

One move developed by Jack Sikma was so successful it was named after him. The move may not have revolutionized the game, but it helped open up the inside for quick big men.

He developed the "Sikma move" out of necessity. After he grew from 6-1 to 6-10 during the last two years of high school, Sikma was moved inside when he arrived at Illinois Wesleyan University.

"I wasn't very strong at the time and my college coach and I talked about me getting a go-to move," Sikma said. "We experimented with a few things and then we committed to an inside pivot to make some room so I could get my shot off."

The move goes like this. Sikma would receive the ball in the post and he'd turn and face the basket. With both hands on the ball, he'******* an around the clock motion and either drive or shoot.

"That was my primary weapon," Sikma said. "A defender would either have to commit to the shot and I'd go around with the drive or if he stayed back I'd shoot it."

Sikma shot so well, he is third on the Seattle SuperSonics' all-time scoring list.

But his game was much more than scoring - he's the Sonics' all-time leader in rebounding. He came up especially big during the 1979 playoffs.

Sikma made the difference in the Western Conference finals when he had 21 points and 10 rebounds as the Sonics staved off elimination in Game 6 at Phoenix. Sikma followed that performance with 33 points in Game 7 to advance the Sonics, coached by Lenny Wilkens, to their second straight NBA Finals.

The Sonics avenged the previous year's loss in the Finals by defeating the Washington Bullets, 4-1, thanks in large part to Sikma's spectacular play against Wes Unseld.

Sikma averaged 16.2 points and 14.8 rebounds while holding Unseld to 11 points and 11.4 rebounds. Sikma pulled down 17 rebounds in Games 3, 4 and 5.

"We came up short in the previous year against Washington," said Sikma, who was a rookie in the 1978 Finals. "I also guarded Unseld in that one. But [the second time] I had more experience and I knew more things and I had seen more things and I could make adjustments. That made the difference in the 1979 Finals."

In 14 seasons with Seattle and Milwaukee, the durable Sikma never played in fewer than 71 games and 10 times played in 80 or more. He averaged 15.6 points and 9.8 rebounds in 1,107 career games.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 2422Location: H-TownJoined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 am
i watched sikma on espn classics when the sonics won the championship in 79. he was very young, but he played solidly. he wasn't flashy, but he got the job done.

Offline Profile