<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  When the Old Giant Meets the New Giant

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
I originally wanted to post this to the "official" thread of Yao Ming's 2007 summer activities.

But I guess, this warrants a separate thread on its own, as I think there will be photos and video about this in the next few days or so.

So behold this historic meeting of the old and new Houston Rockets Giants !!!

[quote]
[size=109]
http://sports.sohu.com/20070522/n250150503.shtml

Sohu Sports report

"I was anticipating (all these years) to work together with him. I

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:34 am
User avatarPosts: 15529Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Sweet, thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:41 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
This is great for Yao's development. Dream can obviously show him a few tricks on offense but it's on defense that he needs most help. Hakeem need to teach how to protect the paint and rebound. Most importantly how to approach the game mentally.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am
yes totally agreed with the dream, during summer is the only chance for nba player to improve on their games. but yao has to play those worthless aisan game every summer. so that mean he never really improved his games and the only thing he did improve is getting stronger, which isnt good as improving his basketball skills.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:49 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
acer wrote:
yes totally agreed with the dream, during summer is the only chance for nba player to improve on their games. but yao has to play those worthless aisan game every summer. so that mean he never really improved his games and the only thing he did improve is getting stronger, which isnt good as improving his basketball skills.

It's the Beijing Olympics next year, so it's important that Yao spend some time with the Chinese national team. However you'll think after the Olympics are over, it would be better for Yao to retire from international basketball and focus solely on the NBA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 am
User avatarPosts: 10633Location: PhillyJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:03 am
I don;t think this is going to work out as good as everyone thinks. First there are limitations to Yao's abilities. Hakeem is not 7'6.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:12 am
they are only working out together for 1 day? surely yao can squeeze in more time for Dream than that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:06 am
Ping Ni wrote:
I don;t think this is going to work out as good as everyone thinks. First there are limitations to Yao's abilities. Hakeem is not 7'6.

if you play basketball, it is good to get information from the best of the best. doesnt matter if the dream spent a few hours working on yao's games. a true basketball players will learn new stuff whenever they can, from playing against new opponents. i think yao can be quick around the basket too, he though he is 7'6. sometime its about someone like the dream to shows how it is done to yao.

yao doesnt needs to use any of the dream's move to be great!! think about it its about how much new stuffs he got of from the dream.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 am
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
make it sound like Bruce Lee teaching Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar. I don't know what's "historic", nice hyperbole though. It's just 1 session with some tips and pointers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Pretty disappointed. Woke up early and surf on the various Chinese websites for news and photos of this clash of the Titans. But not even 1 photo of them together yet.

Just 2 short articles on Sina.com giving us a glimpse of what happened....

The following is what Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon had to say about Yao Ming.

Quote:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-05-23/ ... 7190.shtml

The Sina Sports News report

USA Houston local time May 22. Toyota Centre, deserted and silent for the past several weeks, suddenly became lively today. Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming, the old and new centres, separated by 2 generations, that were instantly recognizable by every Houston Rockets fan, appeared together on the training court.

Today, Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon had a special training clinic for Yao Ming, and the 2 centres 2 generations apart finally managed to meet and play together. This certainly aroused the interest of the Houston mainstream media and attracted more than 50 some reporters to come for the occasion.
Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon arrived at the Toyota Centre around 11:00 am in the morning; he first entered into the changing room to chat with Yao Ming for almost half an hour. Then the 2 of them went to the training court to start the training session which lasted some 40 minutes. The training was behind closed door and not open to the media, but after the training, both Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon and Yao Ming showed up in front of the media to accept interviews.

The Dream obviously likes and appreciates Yao Ming very much as he heaped alot of praises on him; "Yao Ming is very very intelligent and also very diligent. He is not only good in offense, he is also outstanding in defense. There had not been in the whole NBA history to have such a big guy like him that is so balanced in both offense and defense." Undoubtedly that is some accolades/appraisal of the highest order from the most outstanding centre in NBA history.

Many people all want to see an one-on-one duel between Hakeem The Dream Olajuwon and Yao Ming; the 2 players did go through an one-on-one duel, but unfortunately as the reporters were not allowed into the training court, so no one had witnessed this historic scene with their own eyes.

"Today, it is only about some basic footwork and some exchange of low post drills/techniques; he is a quick learner and he comprehended fast. " Hakeem The Dream Olajuwon added. "Yao Ming was making progress on every of his past seasons. And his progress this past season is even more obvious. I firmly trust that he will still be making big progress in the new season."

Yao Ming had aniticpated long for meeting and training with the Dream, the news of which had spreaded right before the end of the past season. After the training session, Yao Ming was all exhausted, but estacy was written all over his face.

"The Dream is my idol which I worship ever since my childhood. I'm thrilled to be able to meet and be taught by him today." Yao Ming was still a child when Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon was dominating in the NBA with his Dream Shake. "He unreservably pointed out to me the problems and flaws in my game, and throughout the training, he gave me a lot of great advice and instruction. I have benefited immensely from this session."

Offline Profile