<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
don't want to put down the "old" players on the CNT, but the new breed will give Chinese basketball fans some energy.

Shouldn't put down Wang Lei like that, I agree with Pryuen, these guys are young, decision making aren't all perfect, but they look like they are having fun and cares about the name they carry on their chest. (guys like Wang Lei, Xu Yong and Ding jinghui should be on the CNT for a long time, when you throw in Chen Jianghua, Sun Yue, and Yi Jianlian, China's got a real good squad for years to come- one that can compete for a medal)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:42 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
I will happily admit that I am a pretty harsh critic. That's only because I want CNT to do well. I am not all that bother by the other generation. They had their time and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. That's why I am harder on the younger guys. They are at an important stage of their development. Guy's like Wang Lei could end up down the same road as Wang Shipeng if he isn't willing to learn to play smarter ball. What I like to see in the younger guys is a willingness to work, which most of them have shown they are willing to do. I would like to see Ding dominate the defensive boards and challenge shots, which he IS doing. That's a good sign. However he still needs to work harder to become a better rebounder. Perimeter players need to play smarter. Make the correct passes and hit open shots. I haven't seen enough of Chen Jianghua but he is one of the players that have that sort of ability as well as the ability to break down defenses. What's happen to the guy. As for Wang Lei he does have some talent but talent means nothing if you aren't willing to used your head. Didn't Phil Jackson once told Kobe "it's not how hard you play but smart you play" when he first took over the Lakers? Well someone need to say something similar to Wang Lei. I'll have to see how he does in the next game.

BTW Check out this play on the alley loop dunk by Yao.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=712558

Now the play by the young no.9 in that sequence is what I am IMPRESSED with. The guy did EVERYTHING right. He drew the man and threw a PERFECT alley pass to Yao. That's what brings a smile to my face :D . It's players with the talent to pull of plays like this that is going to help CNT win games. Man Yao didn't even have to break strides. :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:04 am
Posts: 526Location: Beacon NYJoined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 am
Tang Man wrote:
I will happily admit that I am a pretty harsh critic. That's only because I want CNT to do well. I am not all that bother by the other generation. They had their time and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. That's why I am harder on the younger guys. They are at an important stage of their development. Guy's like Wang Lei could end up down the same road as Wang Shipeng if he isn't willing to learn to play smarter ball. What I like to see in the younger guys is a willingness to work, which most of them have shown they are willing to do. I would like to see Ding dominate the defensive boards and challenge shots, which he IS doing. That's a good sign. However he still needs to work harder to become a better rebounder. Perimeter players need to play smarter. Make the correct passes and hit open shots. I haven't seen enough of Chen Jianghua but he is one of the players that have that sort of ability as well as the ability to break down defenses. What's happen to the guy. As for Wang Lei he does have some talent but talent means nothing if you aren't willing to used your head. Didn't Phil Jackson once told Kobe "it's not how hard you play but smart you play" when he first took over the Lakers? Well someone need to say something similar to Wang Lei. I'll have to see how he does in the next game.

BTW Check out this play on the alley loop dunk by Yao.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=712558

Now the play by the young no.9 in that sequence is what I am IMPRESSED with. The guy did EVERYTHING right. He drew the man and threw a PERFECT alley pass to Yao. That's what brings a smile to my face :D . It's players with the talent to pull of plays like this that is going to help CNT win games. Man Yao didn't even have to break strides. :lol:

Wang Lei will be playing for Bayi next year and be coached by Adijiang. At Bayi, unlike at Shanxi Yujun, he will be one aspect of his team's offense, not its entire offense aside from the aging God Shammgod. He will hopefully learn how to fit his game into a team concept. His main problem has been shot selection and poor shooting percentage. His development this year at Bayi will go far to determining his role, if any, on the Olympic Team next year.

The low "IQ" of Chinese perimeter players is really a result of the old Chinese way of playing the game, especially in the junior ranks. Driving to the basket was discouraged. So was physical play on both offense and defense. The players listed as being born in 1989, such as Ding Jinhui, seem to represent a break from this past and the emergence of the more modern style of play. Players from the class of 1986, like Wang Lei, received better training than those in the class of 1983, like Zhu Fangyu and Wang Shipeng. The class of 1989 with Ding, Chen Jianghua, Liu Xiaoyu, Zhou Peng, Han Shuo, Su Wei, Xu Yong, and He Ben, seems to be a leap over the class of 1988, where only Xie Libin is player on the level of these eight. I expect that the class of 1990 and 1991 and beyond will produce even more outstanding players than the class of 1989.

My guess is that Wang Lei will not be good enough, or have shown enough skill against international competition, to be drafted by the NBA next spring, when he becomes eligible. My guess is that Ding Jinhui will be the first small forward off the bench for the Olympics, with Zhu Fangyu starting because of his greater international experience. Wang Lei may make the final 12-man roster depending on his progress at Bayi this season. Li Nan may indeed be too old to make the team. Li was likely born in 1974, not 1976, and might even be older. Li was born during the Cultural Revolution when record-keeping was not very reliable. Wang is likely to emerge as an outstanding player in the CBA but is unlikely to make the NBA and will probably be beaten out for the National Team by younger players with better early training.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:05 am
I think it's important that you diffrenciate asketball iq and natural talent. Based on athleticism Chinee players are a step slower than african american players but Chinese players need to know ike you said that they have to drive relentlessly to the hoop to get the other team to commit fouls and get to the free throw line. This is commonly seen too much too often in Li Nan, Zhu Fang Yu and Wang Shi Peng who drives and then takes a low percentage fadeaway basically because he doesn't lift like elite lvel players do.
Wang Lei has proven these few months he is quick learner and hasa high level of bball iq for his age; however he won't make the NBA because in the states to many black players have more talent than he has. Even for Diing he maybe pecial in Chinese eys but unless he develops a repitoire which makes him really shine he has no chance wither. The only guy is probably the ShangHai Xu Yong who has chance to become an elite world class player at the 3 gien his athleticism and chinese roots he has a chance to make it big.

I don't beleive CHen JiangHua or Liu Xiao Yu will make it to the NBA at this rate. They need to outplay internatonal competition and lead the national team to victory like Yi JIan LIan has or Yao has in the past to be even considered a second roounder because they they don't have any special physical qualities compared to American players they are chopsticks. It's not their fault that they are not improving, the league is simply nt stong enough and the onyl snow balls chance f improving is recruit international stars to play domestically which is hardly conecivalble becuase European leagues pay their stars well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:05 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yao Ming worries about the national team's prospects in 2008 Olympic.

Quote:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/2 ... 138690.htm

Olympic basketball hopes in jeopardy: Yao

By Xiao Chen (China Daily)
Updated: 2007-09-27 10:18

Basketball superstar Yao Ming is worried that China's recent shaky performances will cost it its lofty ambitions at next year's Beijing Olympic Games.

"The rivals of our recent warm-ups are not big teams," said the Houston Rockets star center. "But we still failed to play our game throughout the matches.

"This is the biggest problem right now for the national team."

Hopes are high that Coach Jonas Kazlauskas's team will achieve a podium finish at the Beijing Olympics, or at least a better place than the country's previous best of eighth.

But Yao is anything but upbeat about the team's prospects.

"At the Beijing Olympics, we will have totally different teams to play and all the matches are played successively," he said.

"We have to perform our best in a consistent way if we have to win and advance. If we lose some matches due to lack of concentration, we might have no chance at all."

The NBA All-Star joined the national team earlier this month and together with Milwaukee Bucks' new Chinese marquee Yi Jianlian led it to an unconvincing 5-1 record against two Australian clubs.

The players squandered big leads during the matches and continued to struggle to score points, especially when Yao was benched.

"Sometimes we can play very good game, but sometimes we could not," Yao said.

"It means we have to take more systematic trainings in the following time."

But the 226cm giant also pointed out some positives, singling out fellow big man Yi, the 2007 NBA No 6 draft pick, as strong backup inside the paint.

"He showed how good basketball he could play. I am sure he will give something more to the team after playing in the NBA season.

"We will have bigger advantage in the paint in the next year after Yi makes further progress from the world's best league."

Yao plans to fly to the US on October 3 to join Houston's preseason training camp, but he admits he is behind in preparations for the NBA season.

"We have flown to different places to compete since I got married," he said.

"I was short of systematic trainings. I am not 100 percent fit and I am so much worried (about the preparation for the NBA new season).

Coming into his sixth NBA season, which tips off on October 30, under new coach Rick Adelman, a more mature Yao refuses to detail the club's target.

"I think I should not say too much. Action speaks louder than words. Like we were highly expected last season but did not reach it. In the new season, we will come out even stronger and step further in the playoffs."

Determination and perseverance have powered Yao's illustrious basketball career, beginning in the Chinese Basketball Association, then the Asian Basketball Championships and rocketing to NBA All-Star status.

He has become a revered athlete with a huge global fan base.

Yao's increasing popularity and influence make him the favorite of sponsors.

Sportswear company Reebok and Yao teamed up on Tuesday in Beijing to unveil he brand's latest marketing and advertising campaign - "Fuel Yao's Unlimited Power."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yao Ming worries about the national team's prospects in 2008 Olympic.

Quote:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/2 ... 138690.htm

Olympic basketball hopes in jeopardy: Yao

By Xiao Chen (China Daily)
Updated: 2007-09-27 10:18

Basketball superstar Yao Ming is worried that China's recent shaky performances will cost it its lofty ambitions at next year's Beijing Olympic Games.

"The rivals of our recent warm-ups are not big teams," said the Houston Rockets star center. "But we still failed to play our game throughout the matches.

"This is the biggest problem right now for the national team."

Hopes are high that Coach Jonas Kazlauskas's team will achieve a podium finish at the Beijing Olympics, or at least a better place than the country's previous best of eighth.

But Yao is anything but upbeat about the team's prospects.

"At the Beijing Olympics, we will have totally different teams to play and all the matches are played successively," he said.

"We have to perform our best in a consistent way if we have to win and advance. If we lose some matches due to lack of concentration, we might have no chance at all."

The NBA All-Star joined the national team earlier this month and together with Milwaukee Bucks' new Chinese marquee Yi Jianlian led it to an unconvincing 5-1 record against two Australian clubs.

The players squandered big leads during the matches and continued to struggle to score points, especially when Yao was benched.

"Sometimes we can play very good game, but sometimes we could not," Yao said.

"It means we have to take more systematic trainings in the following time."

But the 226cm giant also pointed out some positives, singling out fellow big man Yi, the 2007 NBA No 6 draft pick, as strong backup inside the paint.

"He showed how good basketball he could play. I am sure he will give something more to the team after playing in the NBA season.

"We will have bigger advantage in the paint in the next year after Yi makes further progress from the world's best league."

Yao plans to fly to the US on October 3 to join Houston's preseason training camp, but he admits he is behind in preparations for the NBA season.

"We have flown to different places to compete since I got married," he said.

"I was short of systematic trainings. I am not 100 percent fit and I am so much worried (about the preparation for the NBA new season).

Coming into his sixth NBA season, which tips off on October 30, under new coach Rick Adelman, a more mature Yao refuses to detail the club's target.

"I think I should not say too much. Action speaks louder than words. Like we were highly expected last season but did not reach it. In the new season, we will come out even stronger and step further in the playoffs."

Determination and perseverance have powered Yao's illustrious basketball career, beginning in the Chinese Basketball Association, then the Asian Basketball Championships and rocketing to NBA All-Star status.

He has become a revered athlete with a huge global fan base.

Yao's increasing popularity and influence make him the favorite of sponsors.

Sportswear company Reebok and Yao teamed up on Tuesday in Beijing to unveil he brand's latest marketing and advertising campaign - "Fuel Yao's Unlimited Power."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:21 pm
Yao Ming left Beijing last evening to rejoin the national team in Hefei, Anhui, and attended the team practice/scrimmage this morning in preparation of their game with Sydney Kings tomorrow night (September 28 )

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:33 am
avolbert wrote:

My guess is that Ding Jinhui will be the first small forward off the bench for the Olympics, with Zhu Fangyu starting because of his greater international experience. Wang Lei may make the final 12-man roster depending on his progress at Bayi this season. Wang is likely to emerge as an outstanding player in the CBA but is unlikely to make the NBA and will probably be beaten out for the National Team by younger players with better early training.

Come on Volbert, Where do you come up with these stuff?

Wang Lei is the first sf/sg off of the bench right now for Team China. How is he going to be beaten out by some young player with better training? That young player will somehow magically play better than Zhou Peng( who is behind Wang Lei in the depth chart), and play better than Wang who so far has progressed as good as any young player on the CNT?

That special young player somehow will progress on a faster level than Yi Jianlian, and Sun Yue since it took them more than one stint with the CNT to contribute on a international level.

The most talented youngster who is not on the CNT right now is Xu Yong, and Jonas would never play him in the Olympics next year when he has had less experience than anyone. So where do you come up with these "special player" that will replace Wang Lei?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 am
I didn

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 am
User avatarPosts: 3042Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
[quote="wpurba"]I didn

Offline Profile