<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:35 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Tangman

I don't think your complaint of Wang Lei is a reasonable one, and it is absurd
that you keep d!$$ing and bashing the young lad based on 1 or 2 of his plays.

Definitely from what I watched the game live on TV, the young lad played with zest, energy and passion. His choice of shots were much much better than Wang Shipeng and Zhu Fangyu; and he also made use of every opportunity to penetrate; his defense is also improving; and to say that this kid is a selfish ball hog only to show off his skills is
DEFINITELY OFF !!

Wang Lei scored 15 points (5/11 FG% 2/4 3-pointers, 3/4 FT%)/6 rebounds/5 assists/2 steals/3 turnovers/0 fouls.

He is just a rookie on the national team, but he is gelling in well, giving the national team a breath of fresh air on position 3, and sometimes even 4....
much better than those spot snipers of Zhu Fangyu and Wang Shipeng.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:20 am
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
wang lei had 5 assist in the game...........when's the last time you recalled a none guard get 5 assist in a game? not from wang shipeng or zhu fangyu or du feng...... this is a kid unlike others can move and play without the ball.....have you seen anyone else doing well without the ball on the CNT? forget about him costing the team a game....it's not like they are winning many games against good teams at this point with the current starters....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:46 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
pryuen wrote:

Tangman

I don't think your complaint of Wang Lei is a reasonable one, and it is absurd
that you keep d!$$ing and bashing the young lad based on 1 or 2 of his plays.

Definitely from what I watched the game live on TV, the young lad played with zest, energy and passion. His choice of shots were much much better than Wang Shipeng and Zhu Fangyu; and he also made use of every opportunity to penetrate; his defense is also improving; and to say that this kid is a selfish ball hog only to show off his skills is
DEFINITELY OFF !!

Wang Lei scored 15 points (5/11 FG% 2/4 3-pointers, 3/4 FT%)/6 rebounds/5 assists/2 steals/3 turnovers/0 fouls.

He is just a rookie on the national team, but he is gelling in well, giving the national team a breath of fresh air on position 3, and sometimes even 4....
much better than those spot snipers of Zhu Fangyu and Wang Shipeng.

Pryuen he's got some good points but some of the plays he made were inexcusable. I don't think youth can be used as an excuse here. I sincerely hope that I am wrong but I don't see this guy developing into anything, simply because he hasn't shown he has got the basketball IQ to compete at a higher level. While I agreed that he does offer something more than Zhu Fangyu and Wang Shipeng, this kid has a got a lot to learn about the game. For his sake I hope he will play for a good coach who will come down hard on him for playing selfishly to get the most out of his talents.

As for me bashing these kids. Well bro it's not like CNT are setting the basketball world on fire. The team has a player (Yao) who is in the top 10 basketball player in the world. Another young player (Yi)who is rated in the top 10 young players in the world. Yet CNT still manage to get beaten by club side like the Bullets and yet you're wondering why I am not excited about a young player who can't even make the simplest of plays for his team because he was too selfish. What's the goal here? Are we happy with CNT winning a few exhibition games against a few club side from Australia or do we want to see CNT have a chance to medal at the Olympics and World Championships? If you answer affirmative to the former than so be it. I personelly would like to see CNT raise up the international ranks. To get there we need young players coming through, who are smart and able to make the correct plays. Let's face it I doubt that CNT are ever going to dominate their opponents through their superior athletic ability. Therefore to win they've got to use their brain. That means when you're on a 3 on 1 fast break you draw the man and dish it off. It's plain, simple and yet very effective. It will work against the best players in the world and all it takes is a little bit of thinking.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

People just kept saying China national team got beaten by an Aussie club side, but just conveniently forgot this team has got 3 national team players from Australia, 2 national team players from New Zealand, and another one from Nigeria.
:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:24 am
pryuen wrote:

People just kept saying China national team got beaten by an Aussie club side, but just conveniently forgot this team has got 3 national team players from Australia, 2 national team players from New Zealand, and another one from Nigeria.
:roll:

Pryuen come on bro you're better than this. Right now both Australian and New Zealand national teams aren't in the top tier in world basketball. In fact that they are in the 2nd tier along with CNT.

Just out of interest, when you watch CNT lose and get embarassed in the summer league and then again on their European trip, do you not ever ask yourself what CNT are doing wrong and what they need to do better to improve? If we are happy with mediocrity and as long as a player put up decent stats then there is no need to take this discussion any further. However if CNT is interested to reach the summit of world basketball then questions must be ask. What can they do better that will give them a better chance of success. Well rebounding is 1, defense is another. Playing smart and intelligently is another. Do we have players who have these qualities. If not why not? It is one of the reasons why I believe for CNT to get somewhere, then coaching at the grass root level right up to the youth national team has to be improve. Wang Lei should have been drilled on the fact that on a 3 on 1 break, you draw the man and then dish to the open man. So that when it comes to game time situation he would do it as if it was 2nd nature for him. The fact that he fail to perform this simple aspect of the game is a concern and is probably just as a big of a fault of the junior coaches as it is his.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:05 am
the reason is simple

chinese domestic competition, training , coaching etc poor quality compared to rest of the world

they should be allwoing players to play overseas to play and train with the best

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:06 am
tang man....dude, you are totally going off topic......the subject you've brought up have been done so many times...... the same criticism given to chinese national team players and the cba and junior coaching.....bad systems.....how they should be tougher, smarter and play as a team.....while no one is disagreeing with you but you are just on a mission to educate us on your diagnosis of the troubles of the national team.....tell us something we don't know!

all this started cause i gave wang lei a complement in which i deem was a good game.............and i even went on to say he is a better option than wang shipeng and zhu fangyu who often times play in his position..... noone is saying he will be micheal jordan. saying a guy won't change his habits is like saying he doesn't have the ability to learn.....you are assuming he will totally ignore his coach for the next five years or something......that is totally irrational to say for a player you've rarely watched and for player so young....it's not like he is 28 or 30 years old....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:16 am
nomad_balla wrote:
tang man....dude, you are totally going off topic......the subject you've brought up have been done so many times...... the same criticism given to chinese national team players and the cba and junior coaching.....bad systems.....how they should be tougher, smarter and play as a team.....while no one is disagreeing with you but you are just on a mission to educate us on your diagnosis of the troubles of the national team.....tell us something we don't know!

all this started cause i gave wang lei a complement in which i deem was a good game.............and i even went on to say he is a better option than wang shipeng and zhu fangyu who often times play in his position..... noone is saying he will be micheal jordan. saying a guy won't change his habits is like saying he doesn't have the ability to learn.....you are assuming he will totally ignore his coach for the next five years or something......that is totally irrational to say for a player you've rarely watched and for player so young....it's not like he is 28 or 30 years old....

Tell you something you don't know? Come on bro Wang Lei SHOWED it to you with his play last night. Bad habits are hard to break. Like I've already said, I hope he gets a good tough coach who will come down hard on him when he plays selfishly. As for me being irrational, we shall see. Again because I support CNT I do hope that I am wrong but I am not confident that I am.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:50 am
Tang Man wrote:
nomad_balla wrote:

all this started cause i gave wang lei a complement in which i deem was a good game.............and i even went on to say he is a betteroption than wang shipeng and zhu fangyu who often times play in his position..... noone is saying he will be micheal jordan. saying a guy won't change his habits is like saying he doesn't have the ability to learn.....you are assuming he will totally ignore his coach for the next five years or something......that is totally irrational to say for a player you've rarely watched and for player so young....it's not like he is 28 or 30 years old....

Tell you something you don't know? Come on bro Wang Lei SHOWED it to you with his play last night. Bad habits are hard to break. Like I've already said, I hope he gets a good tough coach who will come down hard on him when he plays selfishly. As for me being irrational, we shall see. Again because I support CNT I do hope that I am wrong but I am not confident that I am.

i think he is one of the few that is scoring the basketball while playing without the ball, he cuts hard and doesn't stand around for the 3 ball....played pretty good defense last night with alot of hussle which ended with a couple of steals and a block and 6 rebounds...thats the bright side i see... alot of other players on the team are the go-to-guys for their respective teams, they often need the ball in their hands to create shots or just do spot up shooting.....thats why i think he is a good addition to the team.

bad habits are hard to break...but for me, it's too early to judge based on just a few plays

he is on the national team, so he gets coach K for at least another year, coach K is not shy with his comments.... his new club team will be the bayi rockets coached by adijiang.....thats beside the point. i just think you got to see the bright side on this guy instead of focusing so much on the negative, cause we can't change the fact that he poorly coached in the juniors.

anyway, we won't have to wait long, you'll see more of him in the coming days....perhaps you'll change your mind.....i'm gonna go on limb and say he'll play smarter than wang shipeng and zhu fangyu.....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm
Some of the younger players on the CNT have really started displaying their skills recently.

In the first game vs Brisbane, Ding Jinhui had 11pts, 5rbs in just 20 minutes. In the second game, he had 5pts and 5rbs in 7 minutes.

Wang Lei had one great game. The kid plays with alot of hustle.

Offline Profile