<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Fundamental problems to cause 4th quarter meltdown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:18 am
1. Coach JVG
Lack of ability of adjusting to opponent's changing strategy.
Jazz notes
JAZZ: Utah able to escape Yao's shadow
http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_5581815

But in the fourth quarter, the Jazz had a solution: Force Yao to guard the pick-and-roll away from the basket, then look for quick cutters underneath. "We didn't cover the cutters well, and we allowed them to get second shots, and that's all because of our mistakes," Yao said.
The strategy produced easy baskets on four straight possessions in the
final three minutes - a Boozer tip-in followed by a Boozer dunk, then layups by Matt Harpring and Boozer for back-to-back three-point plays - and the Jazz roared into the lead for the first time since the first minute of the second half.
"They ran [the pick-and-roll] well," said Jeff Van Gundy, Houston's coach. "Every team is going to put us in the same pick-and-rolls involving Yao, and we have to cover better."
By going to that strategy, the Jazz scored more points in the paint in the fourth quarter (14) than they did through the entire first three quarters (12).
"I think we can score inside," Harpring said confidently. "You've got to attack him and not let him dictate what's going on in the paint. Perimeter post-ups certainly help out. It gets Yao out of there, and if they double down, it opens up shots for [Mehmet Okur] and Boozer."

Coach JVG has not changed anything other than scolding his players. Now this is the move that will open up the lane. Did JVG notice that? Did he have a solution? Hopefully he will have it before next game. But he is notoriously stubborn. I do not thing it can be changed. JVG should be fired no matter what.

2 Tmac
Big game choker. Lack of heart to win. A sore back is now cured by a nondoctor. Who knows? He should be the carrier of this team but he defer it to Yao.

3. Yao
stamina. Lack of abitily to dribble. He has good fundamental skills. I think he should start to practice shooting 3s. He did it once or twice before. He should be able to do that. I would love to see him making the biggest shots.

4. Bench players
I do not know why JVG do not allow them to play. They are very good players.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am
mdking wrote:
1. Coach JVG
Jazz notes

But in the fourth quarter, the Jazz had a solution: Force Yao to guard the pick-and-roll away from the basket, then look for quick cutters underneath. "We didn't cover the cutters well, and we allowed them to get second shots, and that's all because of our mistakes," Yao said.
final three minutes - a Boozer tip-in followed by a Boozer dunk, then layups by Matt Harpring and Boozer for back-to-back three-point plays - and the Jazz roared into the lead for the first time since the first minute of the second half.
"They ran [the pick-and-roll] well," said Jeff Van Gundy, Houston's coach. "Every team is going to put us in the same pick-and-rolls involving Yao, and we have to cover better."
By going to that strategy, the Jazz scored more points in the paint in the fourth quarter (14) than they did through the entire first three quarters (12).
"I think we can score inside," Harpring said confidently. "You've got to attack him and not let him dictate what's going on in the paint. Perimeter post-ups certainly help out. It gets Yao out of there, and if they double down, it opens up shots for [Mehmet Okur] and Boozer."

Coach JVG has not changed anything other than scolding his players. Now this is the move that will open up the lane. Did JVG notice that? Did he have a solution? Hopefully he will have it before next game. But he is notoriously stubborn. I do not thing it can be changed. JVG should be fired no matter what.

2 Tmac
Big game choker. Lack of heart to win. A sore back is now cured by a nondoctor. Who knows? He should be the carrier of this team but he defer it to Yao.

3. Yao
stamina. Lack of abitily to dribble. He has good fundamental skills. I think he should start to practice shooting 3s. He did it once or twice before. He should be able to do that. I would love to see him making the biggest shots.

4. Bench players

Wow. I think this analysis speaks for itself.

Yao shooting 3's? Yeah. Great idea. Lets take our top rebounder and low post scorer as far away from the basket as possible. Unbelievable.

And we have so much talent on the bench, lets just play a ten man roster like the rest of the league... No wait, no one plays a ten man roster... Hmmm...

I think the JVG rants are tired tired criticism. We still have a chance to catch Utah, and they only won by 3 anyway, so it shows that we can beat them any given night.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:35 pm
Posts: 4646Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
mdking wrote:

Well, what's he supposed to do? Not have Yao cover the pick and roll? Then the other team will score 4 easy baskets via the pick setting the offensive player free for an open basket. It's not like the Rockets have never defended the pick and roll...they just need to execute the coverage better at crunch-time.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm
T-Mac a big game choker? You do realize he's a top-5 clutch player in the league right?

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm
User avatarPosts: 7214Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
mdking wrote:
1. Coach JVG
Jazz notes

2 Tmac

3. Yao

4. Bench players

Fundamental problems to cause a post like this......drugs.

These retarded rants are getting very old.

JVG sucks, Yao shoot 3's, T-Mac no heart.....it's the same thing over and over again.

I just can't even bring myself to write long responses to this kind of crap anymore because it doesn't seem to sink in.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:27 pm
Animosity wrote:
T-Mac a big game choker? You do realize he's a top-5 ***** player in the league right?

Now what do you say?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 pm
Fundamental problems to cause a post like this......drugs.

These retarded rants are getting very old.

JVG sucks, Yao shoot 3's, T-Mac no heart.....it's the same thing over and over again.

I just can't even bring myself to write long responses to this kind of crap anymore because it doesn't seem to sink in.[/quote]

Truth hurts! I did not believe that before, now I know. Why can you see with your own eyes?

Offline Profile