<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  How To Compensate For The "Front Yao" Defense:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:52 am
Plz. submit your thoughtful suggestions!

Here's mine:

How To Compensate For The "Front Yao" Defense:
If Yao sees he's getting fronted, then he must also assume he's getting backed. That means there's an open Rox somewhere.

However, Yao must ensure that he draws the double team, to ensure the open Rox is truly open.

First, the Rox with the ball in the wing must pretend like he wants to lob it in to Yao. Then, Yao makes a provocative move towards the sideline where the basket is. This draws the fronter away as well as entices an additional defender to move in behind Yao.

That leaves a Rox open for a 3. It also leaves the remaining 3 Rox an opportunity for an easy pick and roll since it's now 3 on 2 in the perimeter.

...IN THEORY! LOL!

Anyways, don't bother critiquing my suggestion. Instead, just add your own so JVG and Yao can try them all out and see what works!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 am
Posts: 2750Location: HoustonJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:51 pm
I agree with John, JVG is a one dimensional coach who cannot play the game with a statistical and strategic view. He sucks at making mid game adjustments and he wastes talent on the bench. Don't think that Daryl Morey and the Rockets front office aren't taking notice!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:43 am
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
1. Get rid of Rafer Alston
2. Have Tracy McGrady on the floor at the same time.
3. Fire Jeff Van Gundy, his offense is so boring to watch and play in, he reminds me of the Michigan basketball coach they just fired, Tommy Amaker.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm
Easiest way in my opinion is to have Yao pull out from the post. I highly doubt a double team would follow him that far, and if they do then somebody's going to be way open somewhere. With that position, Yao has many options since he can shoot( proven by his FT%). He can shoot, pass, or set a screen for a teamate, all the while leaving the painted area open for penetration.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Herb wrote:
Easiest way in my opinion is to have Yao pull out from the post. I highly doubt a double team would follow him that far, and if they do then somebody's going to be way open somewhere. With that position, Yao has many options since he can shoot( proven by his FT%). He can shoot, pass, or set a screen for a teamate, all the while leaving the painted area open for penetration.

That would be silly, because if he leaves the paint area, that's exactly what your opponent want to see.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:45 pm
bayern wrote:
Herb wrote:

That would be silly, because if he leaves the paint area, that's exactly what your opponent want to see.

As opposed to Yao getting only 4 shot attempts? Hmm....

Check out the boxscore http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2007040410
Half the shots taken by the Rockets were 3 pointers, luckily they shot a decent percentage.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 10633Location: PhillyJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:03 am
I am still puzzled at how Yao only have 4 attempts. If Yao is fronted with no one backing him, then lob him the ball. I don;t no y they dont do that. I understand y they didn;t do that for Yao in the earlier years as he was a butter finger but now I think Yao is a better catcher. If Yao is fronted and backed, then there is someone open. If Yao is doubled when catching the ball, pass to Yao then have Yao pass out then reposition then repass the ball and have YAO quickly take a shot or make a move before the double gets there cause YAO have a very irritating habit of taking so long to execute a move. Yao need to stop looking for passes and just take the damn ball hard.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm
Fronting Yao with one big man and another 1 or 2 big men lurking around is the strategy used by Suns and Clippers to defend Yao. And Warriers are just following suit.

It is true that you need to make them pay by perimeter shooting, as suggested by coach Jeff. Another approach, to use another post player on the opposite side of the box. That approach has been proven a success with Heat last year.

Having watched so many Rockets games, there isn't any post player as reliable as Bonzi. Shane Battier, Rafer, Chuck can do it occasionly, with TMac passing the ball - then TMac become the point guard, he cannot cut any more. When Juan Howard does that, it throws off his jumper shooting mechanics, and he cannot shoot any more jumpers accurately - he is best suited for mid ranger daggers, as Rip Hamilton does.

Rockets need spacing. They need mid range jumpers, in between 3 pointers and post plays. They also need to play both sides of the box when Yao is fronted.

However, the good news is that Jazz might not take that strategy to defend Yao, as their big men are too big for the nimble, quick, tiring movements that the fronting strategy requires.

Another good news is that Jazz might want to lose to Warriors too - they also dream to face Warriers rather than Mavs.

Coach Jeff knows. And he might change his mind about playing Bonzi, as he has suggested subtly.

Cheer for Jeff and Rockets.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:44 pm
I don't know why they don't run the pick-and-roll with T-Mac & Yao that much (with T-Mac actually looking to pass the ball to Yao). The other team isn't going to triple-team Yao when he's out on the perimeter, or when T-Mac is driving hard to the hoop. I remember that was one of the Rockets' go-to plays during the 2005 playoffs against the Mavs. It was pretty devastating.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 7214Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
Ping Ni wrote:
I am still puzzled at how Yao only have 4 attempts. If Yao is fronted with no one backing him, then lob him the ball. I don;t no y they dont do that. I understand y they didn;t do that for Yao in the earlier years as he was a butter finger but now I think Yao is a better catcher. If Yao is fronted and backed, then there is someone open. If Yao is doubled when catching the ball, pass to Yao then have Yao pass out then reposition then repass the ball and have YAO quickly take a shot or make a move before the double gets there cause YAO have a very irritating habit of taking so long to execute a move. Yao need to stop looking for passes and just take the damn ball hard.

Throwing the ball over the defender is difficult with Yao because he doesn't get off the ground as quickly as most other bigs.

With McGrady out of the game, the Warriors knew they could pack the paint and dare the Rockets to outshoot them.

Quote:
I don't know why they don't run the pick-and-roll with T-Mac & Yao that much (with T-Mac actually looking to pass the ball to Yao). The other team isn't going to triple-team Yao when he's out on the perimeter, or when T-Mac is driving hard to the hoop. I remember that was one of the Rockets' go-to plays during the 2005 playoffs against the Mavs. It was pretty devastating.

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure the Rockets will go back to it in the playoffs if McGrady is healthy again. Otherwise we might as well beg David Stern to let us into the lottery.

A good way to beat that defense is misdirection such as posting up McGrady waiting for the double and swinging to ball around the perimeter back to Yao. Also, having a guy on the wing and a guy on the corner to get a better angle, but the responsibility is Yao's to get the guy fronting him on his hip so the guy in the corner can make the entry pass. Jeff Van Gundy is a Pat Riley student so he knows the misdirection offense, but without McGrady the offense usually grinds to a halt.

Offline Profile