<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:08 am
User avatarPosts: 2491Location: "Nothing is good nor bad; The thought is what makes it so."Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 pm
Pryuen,

I deeply thank you for still posting these update when it seems like there is not a lot of ppl here due to absence of Yao.

As for the article, WOW a 6 hr practice! Yep that is definitely a workaholic and ambitious person. It's nice to hear him progressing and can't wait to see Yao at the ASG.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:39 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Found this on Wang Meng's blog.

Don't bother about the first part of this blog, as Wang Meng was sort of complaining about having to work alone in USA on Valentine Day and Chinese New Year, and cannot be in China with his girl friend and family for the consecutive 3 years.

But the later part of his blog, he mentioned about Yao Ming's latest status on his rehabilitation.

Quote:

http://blog.tom.com/blog/read.php?blogi ... rid=960851

In Summary

• Yao Ming was sort of pissed that he had to be at the All Stars and could not be with his family for the Chinese New Year. He remembered having a great time with his family on hot pots on Chinese New Year eve last year. "Well, it would be wonderful if the whole family can sit together for the hot pot..." But this year, no hot pots for Yao Ming. He could only order room services in Las Vegas. And in order to be able to return to competitive form and shape, Yao Ming will have to train at least 3 hours per day there in Las Vegas.
  • Ever since the doctors gave him the greenlight to start his active rehabilitation, Yao Ming had gradually stepped up his intensity of rehabilitation exercises. "The feeling was no good when I started my rehabilitation. I can obviously feel that I've lost all my strength and energy. I have to get it back bit by bit. Well, now after a few days' work, it is getting a little bit better. I can feel it gradually coming back. Maybe 20% to 30%. But it is still a long way to go."
  • Yao Ming targeted a return prior to March 10. Not much time is left for him now. If it is in the summer, then he will get ample of time to rehabilitate back to 80% of his competitive form and shape before he returns to play. But now, time is tight, and he thinks that he will return to play as soon as he is back to 70% of his form and shape. "I don't think I will perform well in the very first few games. Now it is in the middle of the season. I can only use the games to recover and adjust my competitive form and shape. The Rockets is now playing an up-tempo game, and I think when I return, we shall readjust to a slower tempo. I will have to adjust quickly to the games."
  • It is the 5th NBA All Stars for Yao Ming, but he still found himself not suitable for the NBA All Stars. "I think I am more adapted to play in serious (and not entertaining) basketball."
  • So there will not be hot pots for Yao Ming in Las Vegas. But I still envy him. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. His girl friend is with him in Houston. But mine is not by my side.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:38 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
The following article is from Zhang Zheng of Sohu Sports, also based in Houston, dated Feburary 13 (Houston Local Time).

So Yao Ming is getting better and better each day.

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20070214/n248238030.shtml

In Summary

• Usually Yao Ming's rehabilitation would last 3 to 4 hours in the gym or training hall in the morning. But today, unlike the usual strength and conditioning exercise, the rehabilitation moved out onto the athletic track close to Toyota Centre.
  • Yao Ming's personal trainer, Anthony Falsone could be considered quite "inhumane". Shortly after declared fit by the doctors for his active rehabilitation, Yao Ming was asked to do those to-and-fro running (at full speed) on the running track. "Well, I finished a 15-peat on this 110 meter pitch the day before yesterday, and I was allowed to walk back slowly to the starting point on every of those lap. But not for today. I have to run back in less than 20 seconds on every lap."
  • After completing his running, Yao Ming was sent back to Toyota Centre by car from the running ground. Coming down from the car, Yao Ming was seen putting his hand onto his waist. He grinded his teeth and said: "I think the intensity was too much. I felt some stiffness here on my waist." So, Big Yao headed directly into the clinic to receive some massage treatment on his waist, and that ended the day of his high-intensity rehabilitation. Yao Ming said: "Tracy's back spasm therapy (with Dr. Patterson) seemed working. I might go to Dr. Patterson for some of those therapy too."
  • Even though Yao Ming lamented about the intensity of the training, he still strived to meet the stringent demands of his trainer (Anthony Falsone). Yao Ming said: "Today's training made me remember what happened in the 2005 Asian Championship in Doha, Qatar. The coach had granted me rest for 2 games. But I did not allow myself to relax and rest. I still carried on those high-intensity training. I practiced at least 500 of my jumpers on a daily basis." Yao Ming cracked and said: "Don't underestimate those effort. Right after those practice, everything is not the same. I kept making my shots, be it hook shots or jumpers !!"

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:59 am
User avatarPosts: 128Location: BostonJoined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:23 pm
does this mean yao ming is able to run normally now? he's no longer just running on the special treadmill?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:02 am
User avatarPosts: 2491Location: "Nothing is good nor bad; The thought is what makes it so."Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 pm
tigerchen wrote:
does this mean yao ming is able to run normally now? he's no longer just running on the special treadmill?

Yes but he is not as efficient.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Exclusive interview of Yao Ming from Sohu Sports on the latest situation/status of his rehabilitation. This interview was taken simultaneously with the one he did on which team is more fearsome for the Rockets: Phoenix Sun or Dallas Mavericks .

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20070215/n248252778.shtml

Sohu Sports: Can you tell us more about the latest situation of your rehabilitation ?

Yao Ming: Come this Saturday, It will be the 8th week since my injury. Based on the doctors' inspection in the 7th week, the doctors already determined that I am basically restored to health, and that is the reason why the intensity of my training had increased significantly this week. But it is still very far compared to the intensity during competition.

Sohu Sports: So in the past weeks, what primarily constituted your training ? Were they primarily for strength and conditioning ?

Yao Ming: Well, the current situation is that we will reduce the strength and conditioning part. In my first 6 weeks after I was injured, other than the 1st week that I could not move, all those 5 weeks were devoted to strength and conditioning training, especially on my upper limbs. 5 times a week. That kind of intensity is considered pretty taxing for any player. But since I was injured in my knee/leg, I could not do any other kind of training at that stage, but only confined to those strength and conditioning training (on my upper limbs). (Now that my leg is healed), it will be 3 times a week for the strength and conditioning, and the rest of the time will be devoted more to jogging/running, shooting practice and my footworks.

Sohu Sports: So can we safely say that the bone in your leg has already completely healed ?

Yao Ming: Well, according to the doctors, yes, it is already healed, but it will still take some time to stabilize.

Sohu Sports: We notice you wear this stationary brace supporter on your leg. When can you do without it ?

Yao Ming: Well, I have to keep wearing "that thing" the rest of the season before I can discard it. I have to wear it during competition and team practice. It is mainly for precaution/protection purpose so as not to get re-injured again.

Sohu Sports: So what is your current plan about returning to court ?

Yao Ming: 2 weeks from now I will rejoin the Rockets in team practice. My current estimate is that by the end of this month, I will be able to play contact basketball in the team practice. Then maybe another week or so before I return to court to play.

Sohu Sports: When you return to play in March, which aspect of your game you plan to improve ?

Yao Ming: Increase my rebounds and reduce my turnovers.

Sohu Sports: Any other areas ?

Yao Ming: Well, I can't think of any now. As a matter of fact, the 2 areas I mentioned (rebounds and turnovers) are just for your paper record only. I admitted that I have had alot of turnovers, but once we are in a game, there will be so many uncertainties happening on the fly. Therefore I cannot tell you exactly which areas I need to improve.

Sohu Sports: So how are you to increase your # of rebounds and reduce your turnovers ?

Yao Ming: Well, I'm working hard on my rebounding now in my rehabilitation. Even though it is still not too convenient for my leg, the focus on the rebounding training is mainly practice on my upper limbs. As to turnovers, well, you know when you're in a basketball game, there are so many scotoma (i.e. blind spots) on the court. All I can do is to play as discrete as possible.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:02 am
pryuen wrote:

What kind of SUV is Yao driving???

Looks like an Infiniti, I think?

Anyone know for sure.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:04 am
kikarse wrote:

What kind of SUV is Yao driving???

Looks like an Infiniti, I think?

Anyone know for sure.

YUP, it is a Nissan Infiniti QX56 that he bought beginning of the year.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 am
So before he left Las Vegas, Yao Ming rejoined the team shootout !! :P

Quote:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl//4558495.html

Feb. 16, 2007, 12:15AM
ROCKETS NOTES

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Bracing for return

Rockets center Yao Ming attended Thursday's shootaround, giving him, he said, another chance to get used to the knee brace he will wear on his right knee and to brush up on the Rockets' sets.

"The knee is pretty heavy with the brace on there," Yao said. "I need to adjust to it, try to get back and relearn the game plan after missing eight weeks.

"I think (the biggest obstactle) is conditioning. It's about feel. I believe (attending shootarounds) will be helpful. The last two years, I had a lot of experience (coming back from injuries.)"

Yao has said he hoped to be cleared to practice by the end of the month and to play about 10 days later. He has been permitted to do "straight-ahead" conditioning and listed "shooting, post moves and learning on tape" as his current regimen. He has not been cleared for any side-to-side movement.

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said on Tuesday that he believes when Yao is medically cleared to practice, he should be cleared to play, too.

"I hope that I can get back to play as soon as possible," Yao said. "I'm a little bit worried about my knee right now, not about injury. I'm talking about 100 percent ready for the games. So I put a lot of time into individual practice to get my conditioning and my strength back. But I never missed this long in a season."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:28 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Just like in the article, JVG says once Yao is cleared to practice he should be playing. He said that it will be better for Yao to get into playing shape by actually playing in games. JVG will not give him very many minutes when he first returns, but he plans to increase it gradually for each game.

Offline Profile WWW