<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:14 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
Pikake103 wrote:
bearss wrote:
The missing time has been said from 6 weeks to 12 weeks for Yao. Based on my personal experience, it is most likely from 8-10 weeks, and the worst case is 12 weeks. The 6 weeks are standard time for a bone to heal, but because this bone bears body weight, it takes longer than 6 weeks to heal and to be strong enough.

Based on my readings, Yao did not have cast on. This is good news. When a cast is used, the muscle on the leg will shrink and it will need a long time to recover.

bearss I think you are dead on
On April 9 I suffered a minimally displaced (2mm) medial tibial plateau fracture that did not require surgery. I wore a leg immobilizer for 6 weeks and also was non weight bearing. I went to my Ortho. Surgeon every week for 3 weeks for x-rays to make sure it didn't displace further.
After the initial 6 weeks I was told by my OS to remove the immobilizer and begin bending the knee as far as possible. I had to remain non weight bearing for another 6 weeks. The pain was not constant, but instead came in "jolts" that I care not to re-live EVER again.

I began PT after the 12 NWB weeks and it was challenging. My PT was great and did everything he could do to encourage me. When my frustration would drag me down, he would remind me that tib. plat. fx's are a significant injury and he would remind me of how far I had come.............. Time. I have learned that this injury takes time to come back from. I had 37 physical therapy sessions. I still battle pain at the medial joint line and weakness. I also have not yet been released from my OS.

Yao has the best Dr.'s and PT's at his disposal and I certainly hope that he comes back from this much quicker than I did.

Interesting article:
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/brokenb ... ibia_2.htm

You make a good point. I am not sure how severe your fracture was but Yao's fracture is very small. I am hoping that a hairline fracture will heal in 6 weeks and he can begin his rehabilitation.

yao's fracture is NON-DISPLACED while the kid's injury is displaced.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:52 pm
seiya wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
Pikake103 wrote:
bearss wrote:
The missing time has been said from 6 weeks to 12 weeks for Yao. Based on my personal experience, it is most likely from 8-10 weeks, and the worst case is 12 weeks. The 6 weeks are standard time for a bone to heal, but because this bone bears body weight, it takes longer than 6 weeks to heal and to be strong enough.

Based on my readings, Yao did not have cast on. This is good news. When a cast is used, the muscle on the leg will shrink and it will need a long time to recover.

bearss I think you are dead on
On April 9 I suffered a minimally displaced (2mm) medial tibial plateau fracture that did not require surgery. I wore a leg immobilizer for 6 weeks and also was non weight bearing. I went to my Ortho. Surgeon every week for 3 weeks for x-rays to make sure it didn't displace further.
After the initial 6 weeks I was told by my OS to remove the immobilizer and begin bending the knee as far as possible. I had to remain non weight bearing for another 6 weeks. The pain was not constant, but instead came in "jolts" that I care not to re-live EVER again.

I began PT after the 12 NWB weeks and it was challenging. My PT was great and did everything he could do to encourage me. When my frustration would drag me down, he would remind me that tib. plat. fx's are a significant injury and he would remind me of how far I had come.............. Time. I have learned that this injury takes time to come back from. I had 37 physical therapy sessions. I still battle pain at the medial joint line and weakness. I also have not yet been released from my OS.

Yao has the best Dr.'s and PT's at his disposal and I certainly hope that he comes back from this much quicker than I did.

Interesting article:
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/brokenb ... ibia_2.htm

You make a good point. I am not sure how severe your fracture was but Yao's fracture is very small. I am hoping that a hairline fracture will heal in 6 weeks and he can begin his rehabilitation.

yao's fracture is NON-DISPLACED while the kid's injury is displaced.
[quote]Treatment

Non-displaced fractures

Treat non-displaced fractures, and fractures with less than 5 mm of articular surface depression, in a splint initially. In 1

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
I am going to stubbornly remain optimistic that Yao will return to the lineup sooner than expected! :lol:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:23 am
User avatarPosts: 62Location: ShytownJoined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:18 pm
I agree! I got tix for the bulls game against the rockets on 1/8 in Chicago coz I wanted to see Yao but he's hurt. SUXORS! :( :( :(

TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
I am going to stubbornly remain optimistic that Yao will return to the lineup sooner than expected! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:26 am
Hope Yao gets better soon. Would there be any chance he may still be in the all star game?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:08 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
iloveyao wrote:
Hope Yao gets better soon. Would there be any chance he may still be in the all star game?

The NBA All Stars this year, if I am not mistaken, is February 18th, i.e. the Chinese New Year, which is about 6 weeks away.

It would be nice if Yao Ming's fans, particularly the Chinese fans, could see him playing on the NBA All Stars. But I think it is currently not the priority, and IMHO, there is no need for him to rush back.....It is just too risky to rush out for the NBA All Stars if his knee/tibia fracture is not 100% healed, or he is not rehabilitated enough to be ready to return to court, cos the chances for a re-injury could then be high.

There is no point to risk his career for a meaningless NBA All Stars.

IMHO, just show up in Las Vegas and have fun there at the NBA All Stars Weekend, but not playing, and that would be enough for his fans who vote him in.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:10 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
So it is time for my daily update on Yao Ming's progress/status. :P

This is from today's sohu.com.

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20061231/n247367895.shtml

Reporter Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports reports from Houston

December 30 noon (US Houton US Standard Time), the Rockets, after beating the Atlanta Hawks at home the previous night, had their team practice in Toyota Centre. Yao Ming, who was recuperating from his wound, continued to be absent from the team practice. But after showing up on the 28th at the Toyota Centre for his strength and conditioning training on his upper limbs, Yao Ming came again today and carried out some strength and conditioning exercise on his own, so as to maintain his strength and his muscle fitness. As reported, Yao Ming will have a detailed medical re-check next week on his right knee, so as to have a better asessment on the status of his initial recuperation.

Regarding Yao Ming's recuperation progress, Jeff Van Gundy (sort of in a helpless mood) said: "Yao Ming's injury status is the same as before; after all, a knee injury is a knee injury." Previously, the doctor's diagnosis was that Yao Ming will have to sit out for a minimum of 6 weeks.

So indeed Yao Ming may proceed with some strength and conditioning exercise with his upper limbs, but it will still be some while before Yao Ming can start his rehabilitation training and return to the court. "Right. Sure Yao Ming certainly can proceed with his strength and conditioning training" Jeff Van Gundy said. "But that doesn't mean he can return in no time. Yao Ming is a professional, willing to sacrifice and contribute, and he will just do what he is supposed to do and what is asked of him (by the team doctor)."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:26 am
So I'm guessing Yao wont be traveling with the team next week for non-home games?

Got front row tix to the bulls vs. rockets game next monday in Chicago and I'm not even gonna be able to see Yao. :( :( :( :( :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:41 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

I like a stubborn trait in people :lol:
I hope you are right :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:51 pm
[/quote]^from link I posted in my first post......I still think bearss is accurate. Not being negative, just realistic. I wish Yao nothing but fast healing. If he comes back too soon or does too much too soon he runs the risk for damaging his leg further. When I broke my tibial plateau I had little pain initially and actually was able to joke around with friends.........from the video I saw of Yao, this was not the case.[/quote]

From my experience (the same injury as Yao), the cast was on for 4 weeks, and the walking boots were used for walking after 6 weeks. Walking was ok without any support after 8 weeks, it was fine to run after 10 weeks, and it is ok to play contact sports after 12 weeks. It took about 16 or 17 weeks to get back to normal strength (after daily practice or games starting week 13). For Yao's case, I assumed that injury is not serious (without using cast), and physical therapy will help him recover his strength quickly (no physical therapy in my case).

Offline Profile