<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:45 am
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
Thank God, the earthquake didn't cripple 7 out 7 of the optical fibres. Sign, can't read any Chinese websites nowdays and this really sucks.

pryuen wrote:

The Taiwan earthquake had crippled 6 out 7 of the major undersea optical fibres and had paralyzed Internet traffic of the region, which had made my daily update on this thread almost impossible. Sometimes you never know whether you can connect onto Yaomingmania site and the traffic is as slow as a snail.......

Anyway, just saw this post from Shane Battier on his bi-weekly blog on sina.com where he talked about the impact of Yao Ming's injury to the Rockets.

I am getting more and more fond of Shane Battier....great player and comrade of Big Yao !!!

Quote:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/4b2b253e0100074a

Well, I am sure you have heard the news already. Yao Ming, our all-universe center has broken his leg and will miss the next 6 to 8 weeks of the season.

First of all you never want to see anyone injured playing basketball, but it is especially difficult to watch Yao injured because he was having one of the best years of his career. Yao is a tireless worker and a great teammate.He is always the first one to the gym and is constantly trying to improve his game.

He is one of the best players I have ever played with not only because he is a great talent, but he is a selfless player. He genuinely cares about his teammates and is happy when they have success. That is a rare quality for a team's best player, especially in the NBA.

I called him after he broke his leg to tell him that I was sorry and that I hope he heals quickly. I also told him that we would do our best to win games so that when he returns, we still have the opportunity to make the playoffs and contend for the NBA title.

Without Yao, everyone must raise the level of their game. We must have better execution and make fewer mistakes. When you have a superstar like Yao, you can afford to make some errors and still be successful, however without your superstar, your margin of error becomes very slim. We still have a lot of good basketball players on our roster and we can still win games, but we must come together as a team and believe in each other and ourselves if we want to reach our ultimate goals.

While it seems like an intimidating task, I look at the opportunity to play without Yao as a challange. It is always fun to prove people wrong when they doubt your abilty to still perform at a high level. It will be difficult,especially without Yao, but we can do it if we all work a little harder.

Cheer for the Rockets, we need all the support we can get.

Talk to you soon,

Shane

Last edited by victorhe on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:56 am
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
By the way, I heard the repairing could have used 3 weeks. This is very sad for Internet industry in asia..

pryuen wrote:
xsun27 wrote:
No updates from the old man, Can Yao walk without crutches now? What's he doing for rehab Sitting in front of his computer and playing counter-strike?

You're talking about me ??? :roll:

The earthquake in Taiwan had damaged major telecommunication optical fibres under the Pacific Ocean that had paralyzed Internet traffics of the region. I was not able to access any US/Europe/Hong Kong sites from China for the past 24 hours.

The traffic is so slow.....that it takes a long while to see whether I can access YMM, read a post, and update with a post.

This will go on for another 7 to 10 days before the optical fibres will be repaired.

But I'll try to provide you guys with update when they are available.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 10633Location: PhillyJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:03 am
Battier rocks!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
HURRAY !!!! All Chinese websites (sina.com, sohu.com, tom.com) had similar articles/news today from different reporters about Yao Ming returning to Toyota Centre for his rehabilitation training......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quote:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2006-12-30/ ... 7189.shtml

Beijing Standard Time December 30, Reporter Lu Nanfeng reports from Houston

When the whole Toyota Centre is left forlorn and lonely due to Yao Ming's absence (due to his injury), good news finally surfaced. It is reported that Yao Ming will return to his team to start his rehabilitation training in the next day or two. Of course, due to the injury was on his leg/knee, same as last year, the rehabilitation will only be limited to the upper limbs:- some shooting practice and strength/conditioning exercise.

The untimely injury had once let Yao Ming unusually low-mooded and frustrated. But such low mood is no good for any injured player and will affect the speed of the recuperation. Therefore Yao Ming chose to retrun early to be with his team mates to start his rehabilitation training.

Maybe we all still remembered that moving scene a season ago of Yao Ming, dragged on with his injured leg, sat on a wheelchair, to practice his free throw shooting. Yet Yao Ming actually believed, instead of sitting idle and waiting for the wound to be healed, it is better to start his rehabilitation earlier.

Doctors from Hermann Memorial Hospital had come to Toyota Centre for a reinspection of Yao Ming's wound. Early results shown the healing is progressing extremely well. Yao Ming could now walk slowly with the help of his crutches.

David Macha, Rockets strength and conditioning coach, also indicated Yao Ming could indeed resume some strength and conditioning training, and Yao Ming himself is willing and demanding it. So barring any accidents, Yao Ming will definitely return to his team to resume training; currently, it is estimated that he will resume his shootout practice this Sunday morning.

As to whether he can return to play in the NBA All Stars, David Macha indicated: "It is possible but not definite. If everything goes smooth on his rehabilitation, it should not pose any problems." Moreover, Zhang Mingji, leader of Team Yao also rebuked that he had never ruled out Yao Ming's chance for playing in the NBA All Stars. So if everything goes on smooth on his rehabilitation, hopefully by Chinese New Year time (i.e. February 18 ), fans can welcome back and see Yao Ming playing in the NBA All Stars.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2714406

HOUSTON -- Yao Ming plans to meet with doctors next week for an update on how his injured right knee is healing.

Yao Ming
Yao

Yao told KRIV-TV in Houston on Friday that he hopes for a better prognosis than the one doctors initially provided -- that he would be out of action until early February.

Yao fractured his right tibial plateau under his knee Dec. 23 when he jumped to block a shot and his knee got caught under Tim Thomas' body. Yao immediately grabbed his knee and screamed in pain.

Yao was averaging 26 points and nine rebounds before the injury.

"It's really hard," Yao said. "This is the best year I have ever had for my team and for me personally."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:11 pm
Yao is doing the right thing. Have a positive attitude and keep training. He should watch the Rocky movies to keep himself pumped up. :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:23 am
Quote:
Yao Ming Hopes for Better Prognosis

Yao Ming Hoping for Better Prognosis from Doctors
Rockets star scheduled to see doctors next week
Last Edited: Friday, 29 Dec 2006, 9:37 PM CST
Created: Friday, 29 Dec 2006, 5:47 PM CST
Houston Center Yao Ming
Yao Ming

Yao Ming is hoping doctors will give him a better prognosis when he checks in with them next week..
The Rockets giant center told FOX 26 on Friday that he is scheduled to consult with doctors then to check on the progress from the broken bone under his right knee.

Yao suffered the break last week and doctors initially said he would be out of action until early February.
In his first interview since the injury, Yao tells FOX 26 he and the Rockets will have a better understanding of where things are when he meets with doctors next week.

"They told me six weeks," Yao said. "Next week they are going to take x-ray pictures, see what's going on and probably (it) will be more clear after that."
It's the third time in the last 12 months Yao has had to go through a rehabilitation process after an injury.
"It's really hard," Yao said. "This is the best year I have ever had for my team and for me personally. Right now I have to re-start for everything, conditioning, skill (work). It's really frustrating."
Yao was off to a magnificent start and was already being mentioned as a Most Valuable Player award candidate. He's dealing with the layoff the best he can.

"When you have some bad times, you need to think about something good, make yourself happy," Yao said. "You can't always think about bad (things). I can have more time to spend with family, play video games, eat ice cream, gain weight.
"I mean, that's not good actually."

Video interview:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages ... geId=6.1.1

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:56 pm
The missing time has been said from 6 weeks to 12 weeks for Yao. Based on my personal experience, it is most likely from 8-10 weeks, and the worst case is 12 weeks. The 6 weeks are standard time for a bone to heal, but because this bone bears body weight, it takes longer than 6 weeks to heal and to be strong enough.

Based on my readings, Yao did not have cast on. This is good news. When a cast is used, the muscle on the leg will shrink and it will need a long time to recover.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:31 pm
bearss wrote:
The missing time has been said from 6 weeks to 12 weeks for Yao. Based on my personal experience, it is most likely from 8-10 weeks, and the worst case is 12 weeks. The 6 weeks are standard time for a bone to heal, but because this bone bears body weight, it takes longer than 6 weeks to heal and to be strong enough.

Based on my readings, Yao did not have cast on. This is good news. When a cast is used, the muscle on the leg will shrink and it will need a long time to recover.

bearss I think you are dead on
On April 9 I suffered a minimally displaced (2mm) medial tibial plateau fracture that did not require surgery. I wore a leg immobilizer for 6 weeks and also was non weight bearing. I went to my Ortho. Surgeon every week for 3 weeks for x-rays to make sure it didn't displace further.
After the initial 6 weeks I was told by my OS to remove the immobilizer and begin bending the knee as far as possible. I had to remain non weight bearing for another 6 weeks. The pain was not constant, but instead came in "jolts" that I care not to re-live EVER again.

I began PT after the 12 NWB weeks and it was challenging. My PT was great and did everything he could do to encourage me. When my frustration would drag me down, he would remind me that tib. plat. fx's are a significant injury and he would remind me of how far I had come.............. Time. I have learned that this injury takes time to come back from. I had 37 physical therapy sessions. I still battle pain at the medial joint line and weakness. I also have not yet been released from my OS.

Yao has the best Dr.'s and PT's at his disposal and I certainly hope that he comes back from this much quicker than I did.

Interesting article:
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/brokenb ... ibia_2.htm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
Pikake103 wrote:
bearss wrote:

bearss I think you are dead on
On April 9 I suffered a minimally displaced (2mm) medial tibial plateau fracture that did not require surgery. I wore a leg immobilizer for 6 weeks and also was non weight bearing. I went to my Ortho. Surgeon every week for 3 weeks for x-rays to make sure it didn't displace further.
After the initial 6 weeks I was told by my OS to remove the immobilizer and begin bending the knee as far as possible. I had to remain non weight bearing for another 6 weeks. The pain was not constant, but instead came in "jolts" that I care not to re-live EVER again.

I began PT after the 12 NWB weeks and it was challenging. My PT was great and did everything he could do to encourage me. When my frustration would drag me down, he would remind me that tib. plat. fx's are a significant injury and he would remind me of how far I had come.............. Time. I have learned that this injury takes time to come back from. I had 37 physical therapy sessions. I still battle pain at the medial joint line and weakness. I also have not yet been released from my OS.

Yao has the best Dr.'s and PT's at his disposal and I certainly hope that he comes back from this much quicker than I did.

Interesting article:
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/brokenb ... ibia_2.htm

You make a good point. I am not sure how severe your fracture was but Yao's fracture is very small. I am hoping that a hairline fracture will heal in 6 weeks and he can begin his rehabilitation.

Offline Profile WWW