<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:00 pm
Should Yao wear knee braces on both kness? I mean this should balance out the awkward effect of one knee brace. :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
tintin wrote:
Should Yao wear knee braces on both kness? I mean this should balance out the awkward effect of one knee brace. :wink:

What an idiot! You are so exposed - you are a High School kid!

Let me give you some advice high schooler - 1 condom will do the job!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:17 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/02/the_ ... aocas.html

February 28, 2007

The missing defense and Yaocasting the future

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:58 pm
http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/03/back ... g_and.html

March 01, 2007

Back at practice: Yao Ming and the next big step

What the Rockets needed was to change the subject.

Or actually, that's what I needed. So with the Rockets losing four of six, with the defense ripped to shreds and the mood pretty lousy and the stories getting the same, Yao Ming returned to practice today. He told a few Yao jokes. Jeff did his Jeff thing. "He did all right," Jeff gushed.

That beat writing about the Rockets' struggling defense for a day.

Jeff was not wrong, of course, in his assessment. Yao said he felt good, and he and Jake Tsakalidis said Yao's conditioning was clearly better than when Yao came back last season, against Tsakalidis in Memphis, from his six weeks out after toe surgery. But neither did Yao look as he did when he was hurt and he was playing enough to generate a bit of MVP buzz.

Yao has been working so hard for so long, when he does return he should have more touch than most guys out for almost 10 weeks and counting. But with Yao, and most players, the legs are everything. When Yao gets his legs under him and has just a bit of lift, he is a devastating offensive player. It remains to be seen when he can do that in games.

It will not be seen this weekend. The Rockets would not even say that much, but pretty clearly they want to see how he feels after a few practices banging around and fighting for position.

That brings us to Jeff Van Gundy's position.

When Jeff first tossed it out, I did think he was just being contrary. He said he did not see why Yao cannot play if he cannot practice. More specifically, today he said if Yao can bang into Jake Tsakalidis in Houston, why can he not bang with Nene in Denver?

It seemed pretty obvious. Doctors want to see how Yao feels, how the knee responds to a different kind of stress. But they were not at practice. They were not asking how Yao felt after every drop step. They'll check on him tonight or probably tomorrow. He might do some work against Tsakalidis at shootaround. (Anybody seen Patrick Ewing around?) If not, maybe they get some extra work in on Sunday. Maybe they put John Lucas on Steve Novak's shoulders.

But if they can put Yao to the test in practice and see how he feels in the days that follow, couldn't they put him to a test against the Nuggets or Spurs? Figure out a workload that corresponds to the work he was permitted to do today? Hold him to that and then, the next day ask, "How do you feel, Yao?"

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like it would work.

For now, the Rockets absolutely would not set a timetable on his return. March 9, our official blog prediction since Jan. 8, still seems in the running. Hey, it's held up longer than most of my predictions. After today, I'd be tempted to bet (for entertainment purposes only) on the under.

Either way, it was nice to go to a practice, on a getaway day, and talk to someone in a really good mood. When he returns, that feeling might actually spread.

Posted by Jonathan Feigen at March 1, 2007 03:19 PM

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:14 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Our Big Fella is back on court !!! :P :P :P

Quote:
http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Roc...-213339-34.html

During halftime of Wednesday night's game against the Toronto Raptors, Rockets center Yao Ming had a routine check-up on his right knee and was informed by the team's doctor that he could return to the practice court.

He wondered aloud whether he might make a more immediate appearance on the hardwood.

"The doctor told me last night, 'OK, you can start practice (Thursday),'" Yao said. "I said, 'How about the next 24 minutes?'"

Unsurprisingly, the medical staff didn't clear the Rockets star center for the second half.
That's not to say he isn't getting closer to his highly-anticipated return.

Nearly 11 weeks after fracturing his right tibia against the Los Angeles Clippers, Yao returned to practice Thursday afternoon without any limitations.

He participated in full-contact drills, battling Dikembe Mutombo and Jake Tsakalidis in the paint. Yao jokingly told the media after the workout that he was most surprised by his ability to "go coast-to-coast dribbling past five people for a slam dunk."

Team doctors haven't pinpointed when the the 7-foot-6 center will return to game action, but he almost certainly won't be on the floor when the Rockets visit the Denver Nuggets on Friday night.

Still, the big man finished his first practice in months feeling like he wasn't too far away from getting back in the lineup.

"It's hard for the first day, but it went better than I thought it would," Yao said. "It was another step closer to playing."

The Rockets (35-22) could certainly use a lift from the big fella.

Despite mostly playing well since Yao has been out of the lineup, the Rockets have suddenly hit a rough patch. Houston has dropped four of its past six games and has been outrebounded in six consecutive performances. Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy has been disappointed with the tenacity of his big men on the glass of late.

Van Gundy would like to be playing Yao sooner rather than later since the center has been cleared for practice, but said he understands why others will determine when the center comes back.

"He did alright," Van Gundy said of Yao's first practice. "I don't really understand why he's able (to participate in contact practices) and not play (in a game), but it's not for me to decide. Nor should it be. It's up to the doctors and Yao."

Van Gundy added that Yao is still hesitant about wearing a knee brace.

"He doesn't want to play with it so it seems like it's a little bit of a stalemate right now," Van Gundy said.

The positive sign is that Yao feels like he is in good shape.

During the past month, the Rockets center has been working with the team's training staff and showed up Thursday in fairly good condition even though he hasn't played an NBA game in two months. While the center isn't sure how his leg will react once he returns to game action, Yao said he was surprised by his energy level in his first full practice.

Asked about battling his new teammate in practice, Tsakalidis said Yao held up well.

"He was very good for his first practice back (since the injury)," Tsakalidis said. "He wasn't too tired during practice."

The Rockets star center was in the midst of his best season when he went down against the Clippers. He is averaging a career-best 25.9 points per game to go along with 9.4 rebounds and 2.2 blocks.

How soon could Yao be dominating the paint again?

"I don't know," Yao said. "The knee is very important for a basketball player and I don't know if it's going to bother me in a live game. Practice and a game are still different."

He's at least getting closer to finding out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:18 pm
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
lol dribble coast to coast.. that just meant no one wanted risk injuring yao going for the ball.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
FFz wrote:
lol dribble coast to coast.. that just meant no one wanted risk injuring yao going for the ball.

I think Big Yao is joking about the coast-to-coast.

On his first day back to physical basketball, he had a hard time fighting first against Mutomobo, and then even harder time against the younger Big Jake !!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:25 am
pryuen wrote:
FFz wrote:

I think Big Yao is joking about the coast-to-coast.

On his first day back to physical basketball, he had a hard time fighting first against Mutomobo, and then even harder time against the younger Big Jake !!!

Where in the article did it say that? Yao is in pretty good shape right now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:41 am
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
I just pray for good health for Yao and hopefully, he will return to his MVP form.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:20 am
superjohn wrote:

Where in the article did it say that? Yao is in pretty good shape right now.

Use your brain, SuperJean. Do you really think Yao Ming can do a coast-to-coast dribble pasting 5 of his team mates for a slam dunk ? :roll:

Offline Profile